• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

M274 Mule - Not a Jeep, but how cool is this?

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
057M274MuleSheilaZelaskowski-1.jpg

Kinda like an old school ATV... I want one (even though I don't know what I'd do with it).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Molrbg0ODQk

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I was at the PGI firework convention in Butler, Pa(same grounds as the Bantam show) and 2 guys had a pair of them there. They were cruising around in them and I yelled out "Mule". I think they were surprised that somebody knew what they were and swung around and i chatted with them. Then they gave my and my GF a ride back to our campsite on them. Would be pretty fun to have, strange seating position for sure.

Sent from my SM-J320P

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
The University of Arkansas ag experiment station had a few of those when I was a teenager working there back in the early 90's. They had 3-4 of them IIRC and usually only had one running at any given time.

Last time i saw they were sitting back with the old equipment rotting away.

As with all government BS, they could not sell them without sending them to state surplus to be auctioned off, and when they do that they don't get any of the money for the auctioned off equipment, so the stuff just sits there and rots.

They have a couple of M416 trailers sitting out there too. I've asked a few times about buying the mules and the M416's. Always get the same canned response.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Make them disappear. They'll be happy.

Last edited:

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
We had one when i was a kid - actually a pair but only one became complete enough to run. Never did get an exhaust manifold going for it. Had a Corvair manifold to try and rework to fit... Very strange feeling having the whole thing swing around behind you in a turn. You can sure see where you're going! You know, the seat hinges up and the steering wheel flops over so you can walk and steer at the same time without getting run over. Great for moving stuff a short way.