Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Trying to tell the differences in the two.

The 850 is a fog light and the 859 a driving light.
The 850 has alot more vertical fins in the lens. Possibly to spread the light more.

I will take pictures of each lens tomorrow. Also some illuminated pictures of each.

I believe the 850 came on the Wagoneers. My 86 CJ brochure shows the 859's on a laredo.

The 850 has a black cat lens and the 859 has a gold cat lens.

Does anyone know what vehicles/years used what lights or was it a grab bag installation from AMC?

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
stafford
State
va
Weird !!
I noticed today that the 83 waggy I gave to my buddy
Has what looks like factory marchal lights on it with the black cat
The bracket they are on look factory
I will take pics when I can

OnlyinaJeepCJ

Legacy Registered User
City
Mobile
State
AL
I have two sets of new Marchals in the box and they are 850s with the gold cat and a single wire. All of the OEM Jeep versions Ive seen are the 850s with the black cats and two wire plug to fit the oem harness.

rubclt

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Reviving old thread... bought 850 new old stock off ebay from France. The housing is different. See photos, front screws match are from internet and no front screws is from France. Now my covers are too big... any thoughts? 1219AD14-B37E-4985-9A0B-E6C2CD1A59A5.jpeg A7842971-A235-4F09-BBDA-E06744EAB988.jpeg 19FF779A-405D-46EF-B0DB-660E42EB131F.jpeg

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Just a totally different style 850 design on the one from France.

short story on the differences is an 850 has more reflector deals in the glass to spread the beam making it a driving light.

the 859 is an off-road light. More of a more directional beam. Very blinding to oncoming traffic. That’s what I originally had installed on my 86 CJ. Now I know why people were always flashing their brights at night.

the housings are the same it’s just the actual glass lense part that is interchangeable between 850 and 859.

I used to think you could tell the difference with the color of the cat head on the lense to identify the lense. I’ve seen the 850 with gold and black cats but only seen 859 with gold cats.