• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Massive hack: VerticalScope automotive forums - NOT US

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
PART 1: IMPORTANT!!! Pirate 4x4, JeepForum, WranglerForum, etc. etc. members, please read. This DOES NOT INCLUDE CJ-8.com (more on that in a second in Part 2)

VerticalScope, the company that's been buying up hundreds of online automotive (and many other) forums LIKE ours (BUT NOT OURS!), was massively hacked and 45 MILLION accounts were stolen, likely with the ability for the hackers to access the passwords attached to the usernames due to lax security practices:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/hacker...reds-of-verticalscope-car-tech-sports-forums/

If you have any accounts on the major (ad-crippled) automotive forums you'll want to change your password there and if you use the same login/pass combination anywhere else (a bad idea), you'll want to change them all.

There's a good site run by a major security expert to check if your username (if you use one many times) and/or email is a part of any of the major public data breaches: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

PART 2: Again: THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE THIS FORUM However, if you use a user/pass combination here that you used on any of the VerticalScope forums, you'll want to change your password here too: use this link to change your CJ-8.com password

Long time members have heard me talk about the fact that this particular company has tried repeatedly to buy CJ-8.com but that Matt (forum owner) and I have agreed that we won't let the lure of a payday compromise what we've worked so hard to build here over the FOURTEEN years that CJ-8.com has been around.

Anyone who's been on any of those sites knows that they cripple them with EVERY POSSIBLE type of ad, popup, text ad links, sponsored posts in the middle of threads, etc. etc. etc. to the point that they're essentially unusable in order to FORCE people to pay for memberships. They're banking on the fact that there's so much information on the site that people will have no choice but to pony up and will accept the ones that leave after they cripple the site. So they're generating ad revenue out the ying-yang WHILE forcing millions of membership payments that make our memberships look puny.

We want people to WANT to pay for memberships here to help defray the costs of hosting and ongoing software updates (we're on the most current VBulletin platform, btw). This is not a money-making operation by any definition, we just want to keep this place running and ad-free.

Our yearly memberships cost LESS THAN ONE TANK OF GAS! Think about the amount of fun, information, camaraderie, etc. that you get from this site on a daily or weekly basis and then think about what that's worth to you.

It would cost more to buy just one large fancy mocha/coffee A MONTH than it does to be a paid member here.

Please consider supporting the forum with a paid membership if you're not already. And to those who are, we thank you for helping us keep the forum out of the clutches of screwball companies like VerticalScope.

BECOME A PAID FORUM MEMBER, CLICK HERE

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Thanks for the heads up Boss. I have not been on Jeepforum in a long time but wen and changed the password there anyways.

thanks sam025 for signing up to be a paid member!

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Eek! I'll duck over to JF and do the binniss

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Looks like they force changed all the passwords, got a new one emailed to me tonight.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
This site is awesome, and you all know it. If you got some cash, you need to become a lifetime member. Do it.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
This site is awesome, and you all know it. If you got some cash, you need to become a lifetime member. Do it.

Finally doing that this month

Jambo#401

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Okeechobee
State
Fl
Bigwalton, thanks for the heads up! I will be become a lifetime member today. Even though I have a Jambo and not a 8 (yet).. I like this site the best! Thanks to all for support and acceptance!

Sent from my iPad

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
"There's a good site run by a major security expert to check if your username (if you use one many times) and/or email is a part of any of the major public data breaches: https://haveibeenpwned.com/"

You trust this site? I have seen this before, but I was a bit suspicious that it might put me on a Junk list by using it.....

Looking for you opinion. :)

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I've heard from computer geek friends that it's legit and if you read the about page it makes sense. Guy gets unreal free PR every time there's one of these breaches. Then there's the simple fact that he doesn't need to harvest/sell emails, he has MILLIONS of them in the databases he's using for the site. :shrug:

cw05

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Augusta
State
GA
Thanks for all of your efforts to make this forum a great place! Just did my lifetime membership!

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Verticalscope has ruined every forum they have. Bigwalton hit the nail on the head above where he said "Anyone who's been on any of those sites knows that they cripple them with EVERY POSSIBLE type of ad, popup, text ad links, sponsored posts in the middle of threads, etc. etc. etc. to the point that they're essentially unusable in order to FORCE people to pay for memberships. They're banking on the fact that there's so much information on the site that people will have no choice but to pony up and will accept the ones that leave after they cripple the site. So they're generating ad revenue out the ying-yang WHILE forcing millions of membership payments that make our memberships look puny."

Their new format puts ads in the middle of threads and makes them look like comments, so you find yourself reading a thread and reading halfway through an ad before you realize it's not member post.

A bunch of us on Hondatvforums.net and Hondaforeman.com complained and they blew us off (including ALL of the site mods!), so all the regulars left and created a new board atvhonda.com.

Apparently the Pirate group had the same issue, so Pirate is now www.irate4x4.com. Same thing. The people who made the forum work complained, and VS is more concerned with datamining and revenue generation than anything else.

The latest casualty was a shooting forum. Marlinowners.com. Same thing, big reformat, everyone hates it, and when I was vocal about it I got a 30 day ban. My ban ended this morning, so I went back and got a permanent ban this time.

I would like to thank Eric for NOT selling this forum to them. I'm on several other boards intermittently that have been sold to VS, and every one of them turns into a ghost town.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Verticalscope has ruined every forum they have.

Their new format puts ads in the middle of threads and makes them look like comments, so you find yourself reading a thread and reading halfway through an ad before you realize it's not member post.

Apparently the Pirate group had the same issue, so Pirate is now www.irate4x4.com. Same thing. The people who made the forum work complained, and VS is more concerned with datamining and revenue generation than anything else.

The "ads as posts" thing drive me up a wall. I'll be reading about a sweet build somewhere and then be all like, why did he switch his car insurance.....WAITAMINUTE!!!

Also, interesting to hear about (p)irate4x4. I used to frequent there until the hack.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Verticalscope has ruined every forum they have. Bigwalton hit the nail on the head above where he said "Anyone who's been on any of those sites knows that they cripple them with EVERY POSSIBLE type of ad, popup, text ad links, sponsored posts in the middle of threads, etc. etc. etc. to the point that they're essentially unusable in order to FORCE people to pay for memberships. They're banking on the fact that there's so much information on the site that people will have no choice but to pony up and will accept the ones that leave after they cripple the site. So they're generating ad revenue out the ying-yang WHILE forcing millions of membership payments that make our memberships look puny."

A bunch of us on Hondatvforums.net and Hondaforeman.com complained and they blew us off (including ALL of the site mods!), so all the regulars left and created a new board atvhonda.com.

The latest casualty was a shooting forum. Marlinowners.com. Same thing, big reformat, everyone hates it, and when I was vocal about it I got a 30 day ban. My ban ended this morning, so I went back and got a permanent ban this time.

I would like to thank Eric for NOT selling this forum to them. I'm on several other boards intermittently that have been sold to VS, and every one of them turns into a ghost town.

So @bigwalton, how are things looking for this site? After setting up the atvhonda site with a few of the mods, it seems to be running well. Doesn't cost a lot (yet) but it's pretty simple as far as forums go. We just put up a "voluntary contribution" button and thus far we've in the black just on members chipping in.

I sent Eric quite a few questions on forum management when we set up that new Honda forum. He was very helpful. I wanted the atmosphere there to be like it is here.

I bought a lifetime membership here, and while I'm sure that was great for awhile, it's certainly not a reoccurring donation.

I post up a monthly financial report on the new board we set up. That way the guys kinda know what is needed to keep the board going. When expenses go up or donations go down one month, they step it up the next month.

Point being, this is one of the good boards, and some of us should probably chip in every now and then to help keep it up, unless you and Matt are both independently wealthy and just keep it here as a hobby....LOL

You want to add a "just chipping in" button there somewhere, or do we need to pick out a random person and buy them a membership?