• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Metal fuel lines - Double clamp, or flare?

MomoJeep

Basic User
City
Seattle
State
WA
I need to cut metal fuel line coming out of the tank. If I do there will no longer be a "barb" on the end of it. It's on the low pressure side of the pump. I think I can just double clamp the hose on. But I could use a brake line flaring tool to create a barb. Is that necessary or even worth doing?

On the high pressure side, the fuel pump has a metal outlet tube that has ridge in it that looks like either a "barb" or a stopper on it. In other words, I could push the fuel hose "up to" the ridge (like a stopper), or I could try to force it over the ridge (like a barb). The shop that put this pump in treated it like a stopper. I'm wondering if it should be treated as a barb, being that it is on the high pressure side..?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Does the “stopper” on the fuel pump look like this?885EE715-CDCC-499A-9B6F-D39B2DA11FF1.jpegIf so, then it’s a GM style quick connect. It uses this type of fitting-66AAED52-BA25-4D36-86DC-8BEFD1D5C48F.jpegIt can them have the OEM style nylon tube pressed on, or rubber hose if it’s low pressure. Several companies also make a connector that converts to AN-6.391FA843-DFB1-4594-A39F-55400081C166.jpegFor the other tube that you cut, that’s the suction side-correct? You can do the first half of a double flare, making a “bubble” on the end, or even get a compression fitting with a hose barb on it.AB1DAB4B-EF93-4F56-959F-2D9D1DA5C0C1.jpeg

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
If you know how to swedge tubes that may be an alternative repair....granted there is fire involved, all fuel sources need to be removed or there will be consequences.
Made a swedge for my tubing size, used a tubing flair press block and a shop press. Purchased the tubing end at NAPA that had the right flair to mate to the existing fuel line fitting. Did a practice run to check fit up. 20210422_093558.jpg
Finished end result. Silver soldered.
IMG_20191009_133701889.jpg
Subaru no longer made this fuel line and I really didn't want a soft repair in the cabin space...nor did I want to run all new tubing.

Last edited:

MomoJeep

Basic User
City
Seattle
State
WA
Does the “stopper” on the fuel pump look like this?View attachment 93282If so, then it’s a GM style quick connect. It uses this type of fitting-View attachment 93283It can them have the OEM style nylon tube pressed on, or rubber hose if it’s low pressure. Several companies also make a connector that converts to AN-6.View attachment 93284For the other tube that you cut, that’s the suction side-correct? You can do the first half of a double flare, making a “bubble” on the end, or even get a compression fitting with a hose barb on it.View attachment 93285
Yes, It's a GM style quick-disconnect. I'd prefer the brass barbed fitting in your last picture. But my mechanic just double (EFI-hoseclamp) clamped on up to the "Stopper". It'll probably be fine, but I like overkill / safety / going the extra mile.

MomoJeep

Basic User
City
Seattle
State
WA
Does the “stopper” on the fuel pump look like this?View attachment 93282If so, then it’s a GM style quick connect. It uses this type of fitting-View attachment 93283It can them have the OEM style nylon tube pressed on, or rubber hose if it’s low pressure. Several companies also make a connector that converts to AN-6.View attachment 93284For the other tube that you cut, that’s the suction side-correct? You can do the first half of a double flare, making a “bubble” on the end, or even get a compression fitting with a hose barb on it.View attachment 93285
Randy, coming back to this... For the GM style quick connects that fit with NYLON tubing... I'm using high pressure rubber Fuel Injection Hose. Will the same GM quick connect also work with my hose?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I don’t see why not, although I have no experience doing that. I would advise to use the fuel injection style clamps and do not over tighten them.

MomoJeep

Basic User
City
Seattle
State
WA
I don’t see why not, although I have no experience doing that. I would advise to use the fuel injection style clamps and do not over tighten them.
So I got the quick-connect. Works fine on rubber fuel line. But I'm a little confused, what is the advantage of these? I noticed that the are NOT quick DISconnects. Once they snap on I did not see any way to get the off? Am I missing something?

Unless they provide an easy way to disconnect, I'd rather just have a hose-barb fitting coming off the fuel pump.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
So I got the quick-connect. Works fine on rubber fuel line. But I'm a little confused, what is the advantage of these? I noticed that the are NOT quick DISconnects. Once they snap on I did not see any way to get the off? Am I missing something?

Unless they provide an easy way to disconnect, I'd rather just have a hose-barb fitting coming off the fuel pump.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
You can squeeze the “ears” and they quick disconnect. The retainer will stay on the male pipe unless you use the tool shown above.

They make it easier if you ever have to change the fuel pump, or pull the injector manifold, etc.