• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Moab in Spring

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Made it back a couple of days ago - had a great time! No breakdowns, but my cousin had to get out and walk in a few places due to deep canyons and narrow roads. :) IMG-20150501-01850.jpg Here's a few photos to start with. I'll get some better ones from my wife and post them, too. That first one is 134 miles in, 80 to go to get back to pavement. IMG-20150423-01841.jpgIMG-20150424-01846.jpgIMG-20150426-01848.jpg

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
A serious overhang...IMG-20150502-01852.jpg See the LJ on the road? :)

And a long view. IMG-20150507-01859.jpg

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
ok: plenty pics on file now thru dropbox.
P1060667.jpg
P1060676.jpg
P1060417.jpgThere is a Scrambler near the center on the far side of the canyon...

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Cousin camped underneath. Had a little rain and wind in the night.
P1060599.jpgP1060600.jpg

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
P1060872.jpg
Had a little wind to have to shelter the camp from; circled the wagons.P1060899.jpg

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
P1060954.jpg Road was cut deeper than a jeep here. Big sandy wash - no place to be in a rain!
P1060968.jpg

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
looks like a great trip I wish I could have come, I dont suppose you could post the GPS log for the trip so others could duplicate it could you?

Thanks

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Sorry you couldn't make it - it was a lot of fun. Next time!
GPS?! hmm, wish I had had one; chasing after some of those remote unnamed arches would have been a lot easier. But, anybody can find the route, the forks in the road are mostly obvious, and we'll be doing it again. :) We pretty much followed the planned route, except for a detour up Sunset Pass to camp outside the Park because the road to the Flint Trail was closed due to rain. Saw tire-chain tracks there a week later when we passed that way - bentonite and Steep Hills.

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
Ahhh, I see, that would make it tough to do a track log with no GPS...

There are some good places to camp there around Sunset Pass, we've camped there before too.

Id not have thought to bring tire chains but yeah, Id have wished I had them on that bentonite....

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Chains: The Park Service brochure recommends them, but I can't imagine anybody hauling them from very far away. We saw a set of tracks that had developed a busted cross-chain, then fixed, then another ledge and busted again on the rocks. It gets to be such a mess that I wouldn't want to drive it anyhow.