• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

ModernJeeper Death of Rubicon Express?

Jeeper_4_Life

Scrambler Rookie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Kingman
State
Ks
Interesting info. Hard to tell if it means changes to Rubicon Express are coming.

Jeeper_4_Life

Scrambler Rookie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Kingman
State
Ks
I looked into getting some new RE SOA 1.5" YJ Reverse springs. They are discontinued and not in stock anywhere.

For fun I looked up the Rubicon Express spring under springs 4.5". It appears 4wp has them dirt cheap, which suggests they are trying to purge stock or made an error in pricing.

My assumption is they are out of business and if you wanted a lift, needed parts for a lift, you might want a lift or in very near future you might be out of luck or limited on suppliers.

1709305546761.png

1709305356235.png

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Thanks for the heads up. I do need some new 4.5” springs.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I got 4 of the 1451 rear springs a while back on Amazon for pretty cheap and free shipping. Check there too, if you’re looking for these. I use the rear springs in front due to the V-8 and winch.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Thanks for the text chat John. Good info. So I just ordered the 1451 springs all around and now need to get conversion shackles from somewhere. They are not being made anymore apparently. Obviously I will need the axle u-bolts and spring plates for the front as well since the springs are wider up front now.

Thanks @Jeeper_4_Life for the heads up as I really needed new springs.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
gr8dain, rather than conversion schackles, you might consider installing 2.5” wide shackle hangers instead.
I am thinking of that option.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
@Jeeper_4_Life Thanks for posting this! Looks like the rear springs are sold out but I couldn't pass up on front springs for a hundred bucks. I guess I'm finally going to do the YJ spring conversion.
Let me know what you do for shackles. The RE ones are not available.

And did you look at Amazon? There were four left yesterday when I bought. Did I buy the last 4? Oops

GrantP

Basic User
City
PHOENIX
State
AZ
@gr8dain I hadn't checked Amazon, thanks. They have the rears for for $65, I just bought a pair.

I already have MORE shackles and I'll just reuse those with some longer bolts and 2.5" MORE shackle hangers. I'm not sure where I'll be getting spring plates yet that have the sway bar mount. The ones I've found will cost as much as all 4 springs did! I know tons of people will say I don't need the sway bar and I've run it with and without, bottom line is I like running the sway bar at highway speeds.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
@gr8dain I hadn't checked Amazon, thanks. They have the rears for for $65, I just bought a pair.

I already have MORE shackles and I'll just reuse those with some longer bolts and 2.5" MORE shackle hangers. I'm not sure where I'll be getting spring plates yet that have the sway bar mount. The ones I've found will cost as much as all 4 springs did! I know tons of people will say I don't need the sway bar and I've run it with and without, bottom line is I like running the sway bar at highway speeds.

I used a right front YJ spring plate on the right front, and it bolts right up. It uses a larger u-bolt on one side, just like the CJ, so no modifications are needed.

I used a right rear CJ spring plate on the left front, and used the shock stud for the sway bar link. The problem with this is that shock studs are mounted lower than sway bar studs, and now the extra tension my sway bar is contributing to my already present "Jeep lean."

I have a left front YJ spring plate I'm going to put on the left front, but I need to weld up and re-drill two of the holes.

Jeeper_4_Life

Scrambler Rookie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Kingman
State
Ks
Ruffstuff Specialties and Barnes 4wd make spring plates that you might be able to make work. They do not have shock mounts so you would have to fabricate something different for that. Those companies don't have skide plate style just a bent plate. They have u-bolts too you could probably make work.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Ruffstuff Specialties and Barnes 4wd make spring plates that you might be able to make work. They do not have shock mounts so you would have to fabricate something different for that. Those companies don't have skide plate style just a bent plate. They have u-bolts too you could probably make work.
I went to barnes to get the plates. They were ordered over the weekend. Offset for the front shackles and flat for the rear. I still need to order the front spring plates. Looking to get ones with skids from Warrior like I have in the rear. I am not concerned with sway bar link mounts. As for shock mounts, I have mounts on the axle, but I am not sure if the wider leafs will allow me to continue to use them. We will see.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
IMG_7968.jpeg
The leaf springs came in today. And I ordered the plates to make the shackles from Barnes 4WD. Offset for the front and flat for the rear.

Thanks again for the heads up on the fire sale.

Boomer

Iron Bender
City
Snohomish
State
WA
I ordered a pair of the 1451 springs from Amazon to replace the 1450 springs currently in the front of my Jeep as I am finally getting started on the LS/NV4500 swap and will be adding an 8274 as well. At that price they were really hard to pass up. They arrived yesterday, only 3 days after being ordered. That was quick. Amazon now shows 15 available, lol.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
It said 4 left last night, then I looked at lunch and somehow it showed 15. Not sure where they found them overnight. 😂

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I have 4 of the 1451 springs, add-a-leafs, new ubolts and bushings waiting in the shop for me to get to.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I have 4 of the 1451 springs, add-a-leafs, new ubolts and bushings waiting in the shop for me to get to.
I still need to order the ubolts, bushings and the front spring plates. But getting there.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Kinda feeling like I should get spares for my CJ8. With a 401 and will have either an xd8000i or m8274 wondering if I should get rears for up front? Do the rears bolt right up in front?