• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Modify 15gal skid for use with 20gal poly and 1" body lift?

RichandPoor

City
Suffolk
State
VA
I know I will be installing at least a 1" body lift when I finish the frame and tub repairs. Already ordered the ebay 20 gal poly tank but couldn't find a cheap skid. Already doing a ton of welding so I have a plasma and a flux core and stick welder. Can I just modify my current 15 gallon skid to place the new 20 gal poly tank 1" higher? Would really improve ground clearance.

RichandPoor

City
Suffolk
State
VA
Looks like I would have to cut the cross member and weld in one facing the other direction, while leaving enough meat to support the two body mounts that are on the inner side of the frame. May still be worth it to gain the 1" of ground clearance against the tank. Existing skid plate is eat up so I already have to cut and patch it. Have a bender (up to 18") which will help.

Any opinions? Have some time to make this decision as I don't want to cut that crossmember while I am doing extensive frame welding. Have already patched about 5 locations and am about to start welding on the 1/8" C-channel to stiffen it up for my heavier engine (4BT). Figure another 2-3 weeks as I have to take a week break here shortly.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 9

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Are you planning to box it in? Is the ebay 20 gallon tank poly? It looks like it in the pics. If so, I would want full protection from punctures, at least if it will hit trails.

I do like the idea of raising it, even if only an inch. My stock 20 gallon from a CJ7 does sit a lot lower than the 15 gallon one did. So I am glad I have that solid skid for smacking on the rocks.

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
I’ve got a stock skid for a 20 gallon tank if you’re interested??