• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

modifying hard half doors?

rizz05

Basic User
City
Sangerville
State
ME
here is my dilema: i am buying acj8surfers scrambler(FINALLY!), which is in florida. i am in maine. he told me i should put it on a car carrier and have it shipped because there is no way i can drive it 1800 miles straight. taking that as a question of my manhood, i told him that is exactly what i am going to do. so with my one-way ticket booked and cash in hand, he tells me he only has hard half doors (though he does have the half cab). so maybe he told me that earlier but this will be my first jeep and i guess i didnt realize what that meant. i was under the impression that all half doors could take a soft upper door without modification. how far off am i? he told me to drive slow and head into the wind. friends are grreat... what is my cheapest option for doors for this trip since i dont plan on this being anything other than my summer toy. he is out to sea right now and might not be back in time for me to pick this up, which is around the third of march, so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. he said the doors are from a wrangler, but didnt tell me the year or body style. thanks

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Congrats and Welcome....

The doors from CJ-7 ('81 to '86) and 8s will fit as well as 1987 to 1995 Wranglers. So you could pick up a set of full doors, soft full doors or uppers that will fit those doors.

If you make it as far as Richmond, Va; I have a set of soft full doors (used) you can have. They're not great, but would do you well on the drive and beyond.

I suggest you set up a network of Jeepers along the way. Get contact info and have it with you. If you run into problems, you'll have help as close as your cell phone. Easy enough to run I-95 or Rt 1, if you want a slower pace.

rizz05

Basic User
City
Sangerville
State
ME
thanks for the quick reply and the info! i was in norfolk in november and i thought it was pretty cold then, so i dont know if i can make it that far without mild hypothermia! found a place in daytona called the jeep toybox so i am going to give them a call and see what they have. anyone delt with them? if they cant help me could i buy your doors jon n and pay the shipping to fl? thanks again really looking forward to getting this jeep!
-angelo

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
Depending on the cold fronts, early March could be a very nice drive with only the half doors, at least up through the carolinas. Or it could be blizzard conditions.

Being from Maine, just carry your ski bibs, jacket, and head gear. With the half doors, the heater should provide some enough heat to keep your feet warm. It's not uncommon to find me driving around the heart of winter here in SC without the top or any doors.

Keep my number handy (eight 4 three - nine 9 one - 6929) in case you need help in SC. I should be around during that week.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
It was in the mid to upper 70's a couple of days last week. This week it's been 20's and 30's. You just can't count on what you'll get.
The soft doors I have are a bit ratty, but free, and would mostly seal you up for the trip home. I'm 95% sure they're up in my attic storage, if you want/need them.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Ideally, either full doors from the range of options that John gave you, or aftermarket hard half uppers. These will give you the best fit/seal. Full soft doors or soft half uppers will do in a pinch, but do not fit properly with the hard top, so you won't be sealed up quite as well.

rizz05

Basic User
City
Sangerville
State
ME
thanks for all the info fellas. he did mention wilsons 4x4 so i will give them a call also. bieng from maine the snomobile helmet and suit did cross my mind, but shoveling out the cab when i finally get home just seemed silly. here is another question, other than belts, what spare parts would you bring? mark said something about a start soleniod? i dont plan on running that hard, more like 55 mph over five days and taking route 1. thanks again for the help.

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
I have dealt with ToyBox. They may be able to set you up with a cheap set of soft doors... Nice people.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
A roll of duct tape and some spare hoses. Basic tool set.

Straight8

Proud 25 year member IBEW
City
Black Hills
State
SD
Lol brings back old memories. get yourself some good tunes,doors and hit it.
Back in the early eighties I dove many trips home and back from south central oklahoma to northern south dakota. I was young then but living large in a new paid for scrambler with a killer 100 watt jensen with stillwater designs wedges. It can be done! without doors mmmmmmaybe.

Duffman

Basic User
City
Lafayette
State
LA
1st Jeep????

That Rocks you got that 8!

"Wow" is all I can say, that takes some cajones 1800 miles on your first Jeep Jaunt...Wouldn't it actually be cheaper to send it up there though?

I know I have gotten sooooooooooooo much help from this site that I would actually feel pretty damn confident if it were me taking that trip. Gods speed to you, your new Scrambler, and your safe return. I salute you!!!!!
:cheers:

Oh yeah- bring a couple of credit cards just in case.......

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Cheep way.

Get a roll of plastic and a big roll of duct tape. Just seal it up from the inside.

Serriuosly it might actually hold. The set of CJ soft doors is probably your next best bet.

The folks over at Toy Box are pretty good, and been there a while. They might have something in their spare parts pile for you. Who knows they might even have a set of uppers. A decent set of CJ soft doors would be nice to have for you in the summers too. Good for rain storms.

If John does not have his set I think I have a set here too. I am in Va near Va Beach. If you get this far I could even loan a set of hard doors to get you back.

Lets us know when you are coming through.

Carl

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
I have a friend who made a set of doors from thick plexi-glass. Not too expensive, easy to cut, went in kind of nice. All you would need is a latch system and you are set. I may have a spare set of actual soft door latches in the garage. You cover shipping and they are yours (if they will help)...

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
rizz05

Check out this thread. It is from our trip driving a Scrambler from California to Kansas last fall.

https://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15739&highlight=CHIEFWAHO

Good luck on your journey!

Scroll thru the member list and shoot members along your route an email and setup a support network for your trip. We were lucky and never had any problems, but it was nice to know that we had support if needed.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Best advice I got is to take some tools with you on the plane, but then get a nice spread of tools from Sears (in FL), that way, you have the tools with you, don't have to fly with them, and can return whatever you don't open when you get back (get smaller sets of things rather than one big tool set so you don't have to open everything just to use one tool).

You should have enough fluids to replace everything in the Jeep (I'd do that once before you leave too, the extra is all good for spare once you get home anyway), every hose (easier to fix a busted hose right by swapping out rather than depending on duct tape), every belt. One thing I wished I had on my trek was an assortment of fine thread bolts/washers/nuts in common sizes (1/4 and 3/8 fine thread).

A real jack and/or hilift a couple of blocks of wood of various sizes (up to about 12" long), a tarp.

Check out my page for stuff I took (I had help from 4WD hardware though):
www.kateanderic.com/postal

Here's the tools I took on the plane:
tools(web).jpg

EDIT: one thing I noticed in that photo that you should get is a spindle nut socket, a hardware store won't have it and not all auto parts joints will. If you were to have any ujoint/bearing problems up front, you'll need it.

rizz05

Basic User
City
Sangerville
State
ME
4k miles?

just checked out your story and man, you are nuts! that is totally something my brother and i would do! taking your advice and picking up tools, fluids, and a spindle nut in fl. getting underway tomorrow afternoon for sunny fl (12" of snow today in maine) thanks to everyone for all the tips and info, and hopefully i dont have to call you:D ciao!
-angelo

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I've been called much worse :D

Be sure to get a spindle nut socket not just a spindle nut :rotfl:

Take lots of pics for posting later and try to hop on a computer when you stop to post an update or two here: try coffee shops, bookstores, libraries, hotels, etc. (I had to think that part through to send in my story entries in case my laptop/modem didn't work).

If nothing else, call someone on the list and ask them to post up progress for you. I'll volunteer for that: 7three4 six6zero ninenine5four