wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Keep in mind that I've been running these Superiors since 1998, but I had someone else install them for me, so this is the first time I've really dug into an axle.

Put a lunchbox (Powertrax no-slip) in my extra AMC20 that I plan on swapping into the Scrambler probably next spring.

Trying to get the entire axle ready to bolt in bofore I put it up for the winter.

It has Superior axles in it, which were problem free when I pulled them to get the locker in. Locker is now in place, and I need to reinstall the axles.

I'm going to grease the bearings as best I can with a needle, but I need to reseal with blue RTV.

I'm guessing I need to pull all the brake hardward and get between the outer plate and the backing plate the best I can with the RTV? Kinda hard to get up in there, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something since looks like any time the axles are pulled you'd have the same steps to do to reinstall.

Attachments

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
See first pic. How the heck does one CLEAN that area to get blue RTV in there to seal the plate to the backing plate?

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Without removing the bearing, not going to be able to really do a good job cleaning/sealing:twocents:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Ahhhhh, crap. And I don't have a press.

So much for this being a quick and easy job.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Ran into more issues today. I managed to get an axle cleaned up well enough to try to reinstall it. When I went to put it back in the differential it wouldn't slide in far enough. I managed to pull it up using the four bolts on the backing plate, but if I tighten them up, the axle won't spin. If I loosen the bolts up a bit it spins fine.

At this point I think I want to cut these bearings off and put new bearings on, but I have a question on what's happening now.

When I took the spider gears out, the thrust block was still installed. I know this is normally deleted when one piece axles are installed. Could it possibly mean that the bearings are not pressed far enough onto the axle shaft? I figured if the thrust block will keep the axles from going all the Wieand that if they didn't see the bearing all the way down on the shoulder things would still fit OK.

Does that make sense?

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
After I thought about it, that doesn't make sense at all. If the bearing wasn't on all the way the backing plate wouldn't fit up against the end of the axle tube flange.

I'm going to pull it back out when the rain stops. I left the outer bearing race in the end of the axle tube, so probably getting in a bind trying to get the cage/rollers up in the race.

Will report back with what I find when I pull it back apart.