My 1974 J20 project

jeffs396

mini Scrambler
City
NE
State
OH
Hey everyone, I thought I'd show the main reason as to why the resin Scrambler isn't in production...yet!

This is my '74 J20 that I bought in Tempe, Arizona back in 2000. She's 100% rust-free and still sporting the original 401 :smokin:

It was originally a Pioneer package in the color combo like this Craigslist ad pic found in an IFSJA link:

Up until a few weeks ago, in the 12! years I've owned this beast, I had only driven it about 25 miles or so (back in 2000), just one trip (had it transported back from Arizona to Ohio) to the DMV for title/VIN verification in order to get my new Ohio title. Never registered it until this July.

Had been working on it on weekends/evenings, trying to get it squared away mechanically for the Bantam Jeep weekend (August 10-12), so that's the first show I've taken it too. It turned out to be a popular attraction there, as rust-free J-trucks are about as rare here in the East as 1986 Scramblers :eek: Have replaced lots of things so far, with many more to go. Mostly fixing previous owner "repairs" if you know what I mean :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of my almost four year-old son Jake, all strapped in for his first ride! He's got it in his blood! :D

I know she doesn't look like much in her current state, but some day she'll be all shiny :thumbsup: For now though, I'm going to enjoy my Jeep! The annual 4WD Hardware show is coming up at the end of September, it'll be the first time attending that I get to participate with my own JEEP!

Will update as I fix/replace more...thanks for lookin'! :)

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Cool, Jeff. Looks great. It's great being able to drive your own Jeep to shows.

I'm going to have a nice J-truck some day... I spotted this one going through town last summer... my current favorite-

cell phone 072.jpg

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
I really like J-trucks, and that one will be great to work into a nice-looking power horse. My neighbor kid keeps telling me that his grandma gifted him a 70's J-truck and he's going to fix it up soon, but I haven't seen it yet. His has a 360, so yours is great with the 401. I'll keep watching for your resto thread.

Also, a tow shop down the road has a 70's J-truck that I haven't seen much of, except from afar once or twice. He's painted it to OEM specs, modified the body to an extended cab, and installed a Cummins diesel; it's a nice useable truck.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Cool, Jeff. Looks great. It's great being able to drive your own Jeep to shows.

I'm going to have a nice J-truck some day... I spotted this one going through town last summer... my current favorite-

View attachment 27865
Love the look of that one! I could do without the scoop on the hood but otherwise it has that "vintage" early '80's look to it. I like the "pig nose" grill too, I don't know why so many people hate on it.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Sweet....! Are you going to paint it the same color as original or something else? Love me some J trucks.!. :)

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
The stance, tire size and look really are about perfect.

Might be the picture, but it doesn't appear to have locking hubs. Did the J-20's get vac hubs?

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Manual locking hubs were an option back in the day. FSJs were originally given drive flanges and some later ones were QuadraTrac. I'm guessing his is a Dana 20 t-case and Dana 60 rear and HD44 up front. Nice combo! I'd add Warn premium hubs to keep so much stuff from spinning up front and repaint the wheels white. I'd have a really hard time picking a color for it though myself. I'm not a fan of red, Black is very hard to pull off on an older vehicle... But I have my ideas. :)

jeffs396

mini Scrambler
City
NE
State
OH
Thanks everyone. I know this is a Scrambler place, but I think most of you can appreciate ANY Jeep! :smokin:

I had all of the truck's specs typed yesterday when I posted originally, but got logged out & lost it all :banghead: Anyway, it was originally equipped with the BW Quadratrac & TH400. Sometime in it's life, the Quadratrac grenaded itself & even ripped the trans tunnel sheetmetal :eek: A previous owner took an NP205/TH400 combo out of a GM pickup and put it here with an engine/tranny adapter plate (not sure why the AMC bolt pattern TH400 wasn't reused? Anyway, I do have a new set of WARN premium hubs for the HD44, and still have to have a driveshaft built for the front (no offroading for awhile :( )

No idea on color yet, my boy likes orange, so maybe Hugger Orange? Time will tell...

Not sure where the wide steelies came from as they never came from the factory this wide, but I like 'em! They'll get powdercoated white along with 35" tires, those are 33s on there now. Has a 3" suspension lift by a previous owner. First thing I did was to yank the hokey nylon body lift out from under it and replace with a Daystar poly body mount kit.

I'm taking her out for a spin here soon, the 401 needs to stretch its legs a bit :evil:

Last edited:

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
O-range...

I vote for the Angry Pumpkin color...I'll see if I can find a pic. :)
I'm guessing the GM TH400 was used for cost reasons. The adapter plate is relatively cheap compared to swapping the cases and correct output shaft. The Q trac case uses a very unique bolt pattern at the rear of the tranny and its likely not adaptable with any others. I'd guess the swapping person weighed the options and found the plate far less hassle. No biggie. Strange that it would have a Dana 60 rear with the q trac... is it off set? While you gotta love the sheer grunt of that beastly 401...I bet gas is a killer! You may want to look into a TBI set up as well as an HEI dizzy. Then that thing will really be a beast! :headbang:

Attachments

jeffs396

mini Scrambler
City
NE
State
OH
That extended cab J-truck does look good in that color combo Mark, but that extension looks a bit odd with no window opening behind the door? I also think it's either got too much lift, or the tires are too small, but someone wanted it that way!

Ted, it does have the offset D60:

Don't like the look of the off-center diff and it doesn't line up with the centered output 205, but there's no vibration with the long driveshaft and I'd have to do a custom gas tank I think if I had the rear axle reconfigured to center it :(

Here's showing how clean this Arizona truck is...here's the original assembly stencils on the frame:

And a few more from the ride today...

Here you can see the original green:

The worst damage on the truck...sometime in it's life it took a hit to the bed:

I'll use a door skin to fix it I think...

Anyone have any NOS hood hinges for a FSJ they'd like to sell? :fingerscrossed: Mine are all worn out!

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
I didn't remember that the Q trac came along so early...oops. :) As for the off center diff, the drive shaft really doesn't know the difference between up/down angle or side to side so its kind of a moot issue. Yeah... it "looks" a little odd but its a dana 60. :) Plenty of beef and should last you a long time.
I don't know if I envy (verging on hate...haha) the super clean tailgate or the rust free fender flares more! What an awesome score!.
While the 205 wouldn't be my t-case of choice due to the poor low range ratio...it is super stout. You could always add a doubler if you needed more gearing (Off Road Designs makes a kit) but since I doubt you'll be rock crawling with it it should be ok. :) You may look into using a Suburban gas tank instead of the side saddle tank you have now. They can be found with around 40+/- gallons in the junkyard all day long. They mount in the rear where gas tanks are supposed to go. haha.
I actually like the original color even though its kinda hard to visualize on the entire thing. You may want to research paint options for back in the 60s-80s to see what strikes your fancy.
I don't know if the hood hinges from my 83 FS Cherokee survived the parting out (it was a cancer victim) and if they did it would be hard for me to get at them. I'd just post a want ad in the IFSJA site and wait. IIRC, all the hoods use the same hinges for full size Jeeps...the latch mech. had a few different versions but not the hinges.
Does yours have disc or drum brakes up front? If you get to where you start to use it to tow you may want to look into a hydro boost system since it is a night and day difference in stopping power. :) And I'd ponder either a Scrambler diameter roll bar or some wood side boards to break up that long bed look a little and to make it stand out even more. :)
When's the plastic scale version of this coming out? ;)

jeffs396

mini Scrambler
City
NE
State
OH
I don't know if I envy (verging on hate...haha) the super clean tailgate or the rust free fender flares more! What an awesome score!

Don't hate me because she's beautiful :smokin: :D

I wish that was the original tailgate...it was long gone when I bought it, the truck had a slide-in camper in it, so they burned off the latch brackets on the top of the bed pillars :angry: Found this tailgate at one of those "southern truck parts" places nearby luckily, $125 and its rust-free but dented and workable. Will redo with a double wall on the inside to avoid those nasty outward dents around the letters.

You may look into using a Suburban gas tank instead of the side saddle tank you have now. They can be found with around 40+/- gallons in the junkyard all day long. They mount in the rear where gas tanks are supposed to go.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that :fingerscrossed:

Does yours have disc or drum brakes up front?

Factory 12.5" power disc up front, big ol' drums in rear...seem like plenty of stopping power UNLOADED, but we'll see when there's a bed full of stuff.

When's the plastic scale version of this coming out? ;)

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?27422-Replicating-my-1-1-J20-pickup

Scramblur

Legacy Registered User
City
Pittsburgh
State
pa
Are those 16.5 rims? Our 76 Chevy came from the factory with 9.75x16.5 with 10.50 tires. Those look like the same rims. I think the factory green(no twotone) would look good. Or all white. I would still rather have the Impala!

jeffs396

mini Scrambler
City
NE
State
OH
Are those 16.5 rims? Our 76 Chevy came from the factory with 9.75x16.5 with 10.50 tires. Those look like the same rims. I think the factory green(no twotone) would look good. Or all white. I would still rather have the Impala!
Yep, they are 16.5". I don't think they're quite that wide, but I've never had the tires off the rims & there are no stampings that I can find (could be buried under multiple layers of paint though). Near as I can tell they seem to be about 8 inches wide...

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
In early 70's ... Kaiser Jeep offered "super single wheels"

Which were wider and brochure touts heavier metal construnction.

Are those the rare "Custom Cab" script emblems?

Nice rust free Z code J !

Oh, disc brakes were optional in 74.

I've got spindles, 8 lug wheel hubs and 12" drums off my 15,000 mile Gladiator, trade for a Red Mistress model :)

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Seeing you J-Truck has got me looking at all the local ads. I so hope I don't find one...there's no way I could take on another project right now, let alone store it...