• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My 1982 California to Utah to PA

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Won’t be much of a build here in PA. Jeeps is mostly doneDEAD9282-420F-4A93-91C5-DAA3B66C0097.jpeg. Been Jeepin for 33 years. Would rather drive them and enjoy them then build at this point. Built enough Jeeps over the years

Attachments

• 5462BB11-391C-469E-A837-725CBE59DF5B.jpeg
    5462BB11-391C-469E-A837-725CBE59DF5B.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 7

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
1982 bought new in California. Spent almost its whole life there. Last few years were spent in Utah. There is NO rust on the body or frame. The bottom of the tub still has the factory paint. The interior and bed has the original paint. Exterior was painted about 20 years ago. Paint is nice. Minor scratch or chip. Good enough for me
Motor is rebuilt 1990 TPI 305. Has a cam. Runs great
700R4 auto rebuilt with shift kit
Dana 300 4:1 low
Front Dana 44 moly shafts Detroit locker. 5.38 gears
Rear Dana 60 moly shafts Detroit locker 5.38 gears.
Interior has aftermarket seats that are adjustable and comfortable. Nice Lokar shifter and AC
Have a half cab and full steel doors 37CEDF1F-B0ED-4C74-BD9C-92F429F9A9D0.jpegC4E96F88-AFED-42AE-9B8F-273DFE784C8C.jpeg41927F78-347A-4EBB-9198-719E7582FC20.jpegFCF0551F-13EC-4457-98DD-EC0C19894DA2.jpeg

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Jeeps runs and drives great. Put a few hundred miles on it. My old Scrambler was an 81 so kept the plate for this one even though it’s a 82. Going to leave the interior paint as is
It’s going to the body shop next week for a professional Linex. I’m getting the bed sprayed bulkhead half cab and the entire outer top lip from the drivers door opening all the way around to the passenger side door opening
I thought about having the bed painted but my guy was not exited about painting it. There is no rust to hide and this Jeep is highly modified so it doesn’t matter it’s getting Linex

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Very nice. Looks really well set up. Keeping it auto or going back to a manual? I've got the same Dana 60 rear, 44 front, suits the scrambler perfectly.

I'm envious of your aero tank.

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Keeping it auto. With the Lokar shifter I can shift manually through the gears up to 5000rpm or I can keep it in drive and relax. I was always a manual guy until 10 years ago. Mostly T18;transmission. My 360 CJ7 has a T176

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
Won’t be much of a build here in PA. Jeeps is mostly done. Been Jeepin for 33 years. Would rather drive them and enjoy them then build at this point. Built enough Jeeps over the years

Love your Scrambler! Great find!

Are those springs the Rubicon Express 1444(5 leaf) or 1445 (6 leaf)? Probably painted on the top.

I use the 1445's and love them. Great flex with the spring over.

One thing to check is to do some test flexing on a ramp or similar. I have the Currie tow shackles. Looks like you may have the Daystar version. When I would get into a high flex situation, the tow tab part protruding from the front of the shackles would hit the bumper as it flexed forward. I had to notch my bumper to allow the full suspension travel possible with those springs. I wonder if they made some mods on yours to accommodate that. You can see the notches in my bumper. I may get a new bumper and ditch the tow shackles and not have to cut the bumper.

Below are a couple of flex pics of my Scrambler just before I started my tear down to clean it all up (that's a 30 degree ramp very steep)

Also added a traction bar on the rear axle to control spring wrap.

Have fun with your new toy!

George

Attachments

• Flex 1.JPG
    Flex 1.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Flex 2.JPG
    Flex 2.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 31

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Love your Scrambler! Great find!

Are those springs the Rubicon Express 1444(5 leaf) or 1445 (6 leaf)? Probably painted on the top.

I use the 1445's and love them. Great flex with the spring over.

One thing to check is to do some test flexing on a ramp or similar. I have the Currie tow shackles. Looks like you may have the Daystar version. When I would get into a high flex situation, the tow tab part protruding from the front of the shackles would hit the bumper as it flexed forward. I had to notch my bumper to allow the full suspension travel possible with those springs. I wonder if they made some mods on yours to accommodate that. You can see the notches in my bumper. I may get a new bumper and ditch the tow shackles and not have to cut the bumper.

Below are a couple of flex pics of my Scrambler just before I started my tear down to clean it all up (that's a 30 degree ramp very steep)

Also added a traction bar on the rear axle to control spring wrap.

Have fun with your new toy!

George
Nice flex!, I will look. Springs are like new. I saw the part number. May flex it out today

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca

Nice! Those are the same as I run. They ride nice and flex really well. They are YJ 1" SOA Springs.

I'm not sure how much rock crawling or roads with big ruts you will do but those springs will allow major flex so you will need to make sure your bump stops are set at the right position. Also check your brake lines to be sure they are long enough. And check those front shackles at full flex to see if they contact the bumper as they swing forward.

Hard to tell from the pics if they put in longer front shock mounts. To get the full flex, you need extend the mounts and get longer shocks.

Here is a pic of my F250 shock mounts. Its dark so I added one of how they look just after I painted my frame.

Flex 3.JPGFrame 1.JPG

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
Also, you are setup nearly identically to me. I also have a 1" body lift and 35x12.50 BFG MT's. So you are capable of some serious flex.

In one of your pics, it looks like you have the stock bump stops in the rear. You can see it in the snip I took below. Then you can see my extended bump stop. Even with that extended, I still had the tires get into the body on full flex. You can see in my body tub pic, where it is bent at the lower edge and even where I trimmed it.

Just be aware of that and deal with it if you will off road it on any significant trails. I would hate to see that clean body get damaged!

Hope that helps...

GeorgeStock bump stop.JPGExtended bump stop.JPGTub rear.JPG

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
To start off, nice Scrambler. There is a lot there to like. I know a lot of people like to keep thier Jeep's stock and I get that. If I found one close to stock I'd keep it like that as well. But when I get one that's almost stock, but slightly modified, I like that to. Nice mods on yours, sounds like a lot of fun to me.

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Also, you are setup nearly identically to me. I also have a 1" body lift and 35x12.50 BFG MT's. So you are capable of some serious flex.

In one of your pics, it looks like you have the stock bump stops in the rear. You can see it in the snip I took below. Then you can see my extended bump stop. Even with that extended, I still had the tires get into the body on full flex. You can see in my body tub pic, where it is bent at the lower edge and even where I trimmed it.

Just be aware of that and deal with it if you will off road it on any significant trails. I would hate to see that clean body get damaged!

Hope that helps...

GeorgeView attachment 83940View attachment 83941View attachment 83942
I will check out the rear bump stops. I noticed the front has custom bump stops on it. Thanks for all the info

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
And I do have new correct door pulls to put on. Ran out of time today