• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

MY 8

CamJake

Basic User
City
Sandwich
State
Ma
New guy here...not my first go round though
traded my CJ buggy for a Scrambler this past summer

the buggy was a very capable crawler, 355 sbc, rv cam, th350 and an Atlas. 60/14b with 5.13s, 43” tsls
I had a bunch of time into getting it to this point, but with 2 young kids at home I knew I’d need a 4 seater at some point...
found this and made a trade

82 CJ 8, LS/4l60e/205, 14 bolts F&R, 5.38 gears, Fox coilovers and King bumps.
I kept some parts from the buggy and knew I’d be making changes to the Scrambler. The motor runs fine but the wiring was a mess, the TJ front clip bugged me, the color was not my cup of tea. Some changes were made pretty quick, got my seats and bumper on, re did the fuel cell and added some storage just before my first wheeling trip with it

found some half doors. Needed to remove the plastic interior panel to fit around the hip bar.

Got CJ front clip on last week

[URL=http://s160.photobucket.com/user/mattyarnallcc3/media/C0DC82E8-F0BA-4235-AF80-3F3AE2FB3D90.jpg.html]
t
next time I get in the shop I’ll gut the grill to fit this big Griffin rad

I’ve got a pile of parts that need to go on, but with 2 little ones and a new house, time is scarce.
I’ll address the wiring with a PSI Conversion harness and a couple Blue Sea fuse blocks
gotta plumb in a new trans cooler/Spal fan
Ceramic Hooker headers to dress it up some, Ive also been considering relocating the coil packs and a nice set of valve covers...
lots of small stuff, rock lights, trans temp gauge, the list goes on...
I’ll be painting it when all the body work is finished.

CamJake

Basic User
City
Sandwich
State
Ma

I should mention that the wb is lengthened a bit and the wheel well was pushed back some. The rear fender wells are from a TJ, as is a small section of frame...

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
AWESOME. More pictures of the cage please I am working through thoughts on what I want to do with mine and like the look of yours. Thank you in advance.

CamJake

Basic User
City
Sandwich
State
Ma

Not my design. I’d of went with something more traditional, but it’s pretty stout!

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Thanks. I am gathering ideas and like the look of yours from the front and have another picture saved of a rear section I like. Now to find someone to build it and hope my money tree is productive this year.

CamJake

Basic User
City
Sandwich
State
Ma

Dash wiring needs a lot of attention.

Added a switch panel and moved the head unit

In cab winch controller

Ordered paint a few weeks ago, not sure when I’ll get a chance to spray...

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'd say paint unless you're going with a matching AL tub.

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Chester
State
Ma
Both are nice rigs. Someday, I will build a buggy, but there are 5 resto's to do first, maybe a resto mod, but not a buggy. Very nice and keep us updated.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
glad to see you changed the front clip. Nothing wrong with the TJ/LJ as I’ve owned numerous ones but the CJ grill looks best

CamJake

Basic User
City
Sandwich
State
Ma
Yup, no sense in owning a CJ if it’s dressed like a TJ...
Chipping away at a table full of parts. Dodge MC/95 YJ booster and a new 200a alternator...

When I decided to switch back to the CJ stuff I had a buddy who had a mint grill and hood laying around. He kinda flaked out and the deal fell through. So I found a grill locally, but after having it media blasted I felt it was too far gone to use. So I found a reproduction grill and hood on EBay. Lesson learned...

The grill had dimples where the spot welds are, no big deal there.
The hood is very flimsy. Especially after I trimmed 3” off the bottom. Without the factory bent edge, it will pretty much bend around my hand. Also, where the underhood bracing is, is not really connected to the hood.
My idea is to tack the bracing where needed and to weld a piece of 1” flat stock to the bottom edge to stiffen it up. I’m worried about burning right thru the thin Chinese sheet metal or warping it badly. Should I just rivet the flat stock in? The edge will be getting some edge molding anyway, that might hide rivets...
Anybody have luck welding these crappy hoods/sheet metal?

CamJake

Basic User
City
Sandwich
State
Ma
In hindsight, I should cut an 1” left and had a body guy roll the edge...
I think I’ll just try tacking it in a bunch of spots.