• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My 85' Restoration

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
I was able to track down a good set of half doors. The paints in great shape, but the mechanism inside are worn. I also ordered a set of best top uppers for them, just in case!
D8EEF732-A8C5-4931-932F-EDA55951C557.jpeg

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Has anyone had any experience with Rocky roads sliders? Do they hold up?

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
That's good to hear. Did you burn them on?
No. I bolted them to the frame with the included hardware. I have smashed into quite a few rocks/trees with them, I have not had a problem with the mounting bolts coming loose.

When I installed them, post #902, back in 2012:

Post #849, and after, some discussions about alternate mounting methods and Rocky Road Outfitters:

Last edited:

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
I wrapped up getting the Howel TBI installed today. A couple things that I need some input on.

For the interior portion of the harness, I need to tap into a power source that has both Crank and Run positions. Which wire is best to tap into for that?

secondly, what has everyone done for the air cleaner? I would really like to figure out a way to adapt the factory cleaner housing I have from the 360 to it. Has anyone done that?

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
For the interior portion of the harness, I need to tap into a power source that has both Crank and Run positions. Which wire is best to tap into for that?
If you are asking about a location under the dash, you would want to come of of the IGN/LPS fused wire.
(Of course there are locations under the hood as well.)

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
If you are asking about a location under the dash, you would want to come of of the IGN/LPS fused wire.
(Of course there are locations under the hood as well.)
Awesome, thank you. If you go under the hood, would you tie in at the solenoid?

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Awesome, thank you. If you go under the hood, would you tie in at the solenoid?
The solenoid Ignition terminal is only to supply a full 12 volts to the coil for start up, it drops off when the key is returned to "RUN"

The OEM ignition control module would be 12 volts at the crank and run you were asking about.

Start Run.PNG

Notice the wire to the "+" terminal of the coil is fed through a resistance wire below the splice and gets the full 12v from the solenoid by the splice below the resistance wire.

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
The solenoid Ignition terminal is only to supply a full 12 volts to the coil for start up, it drops off when the key is returned to "RUN"

The OEM ignition control module would be 12 volts at the crank and run you were asking about.

View attachment 96943

Notice the wire to the "+" terminal of the coil is fed through a resistance wire below the splice and gets the full 12v from the solenoid by the splice below the resistance wire.
Thank you, that might be a better route