• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My Aussie CJ8 Overlander

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Hi guys,

Been posting a bit regarding Scramblers and 8's as I have just bought one (well the boss is letting me pay it off in instalments)

Does anyone know the distance between the centre of the hub to top of flair measurement in a stock 8?

It looks a bit taller than a standard height,

I had some 35's from my last jeep, which had only been roaded for about 200kms or so.

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member

Plans are to run it on whatever the suspension is now and trim to clean and use it for a tow vehicle or general trail bashing.
For the trim, I was thinking about following the sticker line over the front and rear arches. Opinions?

it's got a cracked frame rail and some rust in the tub, so the project moved from the yellow one to the 8.

I don't know whether to go with a 4.0 or V8 (more expensive for the V8 conversion as we didn't get many v8's over here-Thought about the WJ V8 or a 360, but they are hard to find.)

I have some questions.
The D300, how easily is it to change from 2H to 4H? On this one, it's a short distance.
Would it be worth going to a twin stick?

Will TJ fenders fit?
What about TJ doors? I was thinking about going TJ half doors. JP magazine made it work on a YJ, but I don't know how different they are to a CJ.

Thanks guys and I'll keep you all updated!

Last edited:

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
The Genright fenders we have, We tried them, but unless we cut the inner guards to clear the rad/grille, it won't fit. PLUS they are a beefy piece of work! We might make our own up.

TNT looks ok, might have to ask the boss about them.

Oh, My work place?

www.wooders.com.au

Cheers

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! :smokin::bow::thumbsup:

I'm in the middle of a 4.0/AW4 swap on my Alaksan Postal that's set up for right-hand drive, so obviously I think that swap has a lot of merit. Can't go wrong with a 360 either though.

It's not real far to shift from 2 hi to 4 hi on mine, but I'm also going twin stick, mainly because the 4.0 swap moved the tcase back where the stock shifter can't come up through the existing tranny hole (not just the hole in the tranny cover, the entire tranny hole in the tub floor). I think a twin stick is a great option and had been meaning to do it for a long time. Loving that I finally will get it set up.

Looking forward to your build on this, great to see another World Cab around! :D

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
BTW, those rims on your 35s are AWESOME! Love that look!

I definitely think you have a bit of lift.

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Cheers BigWalton,

I've been following your build up as well. Just need to find a decent 4.0 drivetrain now. Does your WC have a roof lining? I'm thinking of putting one in as it doesn't have one. Was going to build up the side carpets a bit to make it a tad warmer and less clunky when you throw stuff in it.

Any tips on how to remove stripped torx screws (the ones on the rear hinge?)

Good news about the shifter. I'll be doing it later! Are you home brewing your twin stick or purchasing it?

I'm going to try and fit some TJ half doors with slider into it. Means I will have to modify the top corners, but will be worth it if I can get it to work. I've been looking at what would be different, and if I get the TJ soft top corner piece, it should fit. Even if I make a template of it and get it welded in and filled. WC doors are far and few between over here! Any thoughts?

Forgot to add, it's got Alloy rear shafts for the AMC 20.

Last edited:

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Cheers BigWalton,

...Does your WC have a roof lining? I'm thinking of putting one in as it doesn't have one. Was going to build up the side carpets a bit to make it a tad warmer and less clunky when you throw stuff in it...
I don't if Eric's World Cab has a headliner, but mine does. When you get to that point in your project I should be able to provide a pattern for the headliner and some info on how I made mine, it was a fairly simple project.

I'm going to try and fit some TJ half doors with slider into it. Means I will have to modify the top corners, but will be worth it if I can get it to work. I've been looking at what would be different, and if I get the TJ soft top corner piece, it should fit. Even if I make a template of it and get it welded in and filled. WC doors are far and few between over here! Any thoughts?
I've made two types of corners for my two World Cabs. In the left photo below are the more simple of the two I've made, these were to adapt my World Cab to normal CJ/YJ doors. More info and a drawing for these can be found at the bottom of this page: http://home.roadrunner.com/~jscherb/scrambler/hardtop.htm.

The red ones on the right I made to adapt a highly modified World Cab hardtop to TJ doors for my Wrangler pickup project, there's more info on fabricating those in the "Complete Builds and Restorations" forum section, the thread is called "OT: Retro Wrangler/Willys Pickup (long)".

Happy to provide more info on these projects and any other mods or projects I've done.
Jeff

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
I'm liking your mods!

Do the TJ doors fit with just the latch being modified?

What material did you use for the headlining? Did you do anything to the floors ie: thicker carpet?

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
No carpet or headliner in mine, I was going to point you to Jeff's builds, so I'm glad he posted up already.

Any tips on how to remove stripped torx screws (the ones on the rear hinge?)

Good news about the shifter. I'll be doing it later! Are you home brewing your twin stick or purchasing it?
Stripped torx are best removed by welding a nut to the head. The heat helps loosen them up and the nut gives you plenty of leverage.

Twin stick off of ebay: linky to similar ad, same product

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Do the TJ doors fit with just the latch being modified?
Oh sorry, I guess I wasn't clear - that is a CJ World Cab adapted to a TJ tub with TJ doors. I posted it because the corner filler would be the same for CJ doors on a CJ tub. Because of the difference in profile between the weatherstirp areas of the TJ and CJ doors, TJ doors don't seal well on CJ tubs, I wouldn't do it.

What material did you use for the headlining?
I used 1/8" (3.5mm) chipboard for the base, that's a type of cardboard available in art supply stores here. I covered it with headliner fabric, which is a stretchy nylon or polyester fabric with a 2mm foam backing. I attached that with contant cement. In the US, headliner fabric is available at many of the larger sewing stores.

Did you do anything to the floors ie: thicker carpet?
I covered the floor with Dynamat, which is a self-stick rubberized sound deadening product. It also has an aluminum foil backing to reduce heat. I used normal carpeting over that. In the front compartment, I added side carpets - these were available from the factory on the "Limited" trim model of the CJ, I don't know if you ever had the "Limited" over there. In the rear compartment, I made new side carpets - when I ordered the floor carpets I also ordered additional carpet so I could make side carpets for the rear compartment.

I also used Dynamat on the inside of the World Cab roof panels, and then filled the space between the headliner cardboard and the roof with fiberglass insulation to reduce noise and also heat from the sun beating down on the metal roof.

All of these projects together resulted in a very quiet CJ (but after all it is still a CJ...)
Jeff

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
So you wouldn't suggest going TJ doors on the world cab?

Mine'g got carpet on the sides, but not under the seats (odd). I was going to use some foam backing on a board to give a big more insulation.

Cheers for the info guys!

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
So you wouldn't suggest going TJ doors on the world cab?
No I wouldn't. JP Magazine here did an article recently about fitting TJ stuff to YJ's (would be same for CJ's) and they said they never could get the TJ doors to close properly, it is in the November 2007 issue. I've test-fit my TJ doors on my World Cab and I agree with them - you could get them to "fit", but whether or not you like it depends on your definition of "fit". My definition would be that they close easily and seal completely, and I think that would be a big challenge. They are the same size, but the profile of the door edges where the weatherstripping goes and the profile of the door openings are very different between TJ's and YJ/CJ's.

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
No I wouldn't. JP Magazine here did an article recently about fitting TJ stuff to YJ's (would be same for CJ's) and they said they never could get the TJ doors to close properly, it is in the November 2007 issue. I've test-fit my TJ doors on my World Cab and I agree with them - you could get them to "fit", but whether or not you like it depends on your definition of "fit". My definition would be that they close easily and seal completely, and I think that would be a big challenge. They are the same size, but the profile of the door edges where the weatherstripping goes and the profile of the door openings are very different between TJ's and YJ/CJ's.
Pooh! CJ/YJ hard doors are hard to come by over here! I've read the JP article and web post. TJ doors are still 800AUD used for 2 piece doors.

Did the CJ come with 2 piece doors?

Anyone know of any YJ 2 piece doors for sale? (Shipping could be interesting though!)

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Before:

After:

This is whatever lift is on it and 35's. Some trimming will be needed, but I don't want to raise the body. it's tall enough as it is. The XJ is on 3" lift and 31's for comparison.

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
UPDATE:

Got some J20 diffs, WIDE and 8 stud! Now sorting out how legal the outboarded mounts are in Australia, so we'll see, but for now, it's runnign Dana 30 and AMC20 with Alloy 1 piece shafts. 35" tyres and 15x8 rims.

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Spoke to the engineer and he's ok with outboards. BUT, the boss put ideas into my head. Stay tuned for a coil front conversion and possible SOA rear. Then need to find a way to cover the tyres without it looking like someone's stuck wings on the fenders!

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
If it were me, I'd switch it and do the coils in the rear and SOA in front so as to not deal with the extra issue of an anti-wrap setup in the back. But that's just me. What's the thinking on coils in front/SOA rear?

If I owned that Jeep, I'd try to get that blue top coat of paint off, and expose the Laredo decaling. That Jeep would be an instant classic, as not too many Laredo's were outfitted from the factory. I noticed the other Laredo accents in your interior photos, but it took a minute to see the decals under the blue paint. I think the value of that Jeep would be much greater in its original specs, to some degree. I certainly would not cut the body. Wow, nice Jeep!