• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My Aussie CJ8 Overlander

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
City
Sydney
State
NS
Hole is to let you know if the seal is leaking. There should be a seal on the T/C toT/C input, and another on the adapter that seals to the T/C input- the adapter should be dry.

O, that makes sense. But bloody hell... Looks like it won't be running until 2013!
Does anyone have a part number for the 2 seals?
Happy Christmas and a merry new year to all! Stay safe these holidays!

Thanks Randy!

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
City
Sydney
State
NS
IMG_0091_zpsffe437aa.jpg

IMG_0090_zps5a887f72.jpg

IMG_0089_zps9277539c.jpg

IMG_0088_zps730ad901.jpg

Progress.

Had to move the twin sticks to between the seats due to the aircon module.
I need a throttle bracket (or a 4 barrel carby/tbi)
Got some seals coming for the shift linkage.
Needs a new rad, found a few holes in this one.
Power steering pump needs to be plumbed, but thinking of an electric pump instead. Any ideas?
Calipers have got a lot of gunk inside them, but they have bled to an extent. Trying to source some of these in Oz is bloody hard!

More updates after NYE!

Happy New Year!!!!!!

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
You really need to take some pictures around your yard... seeing teases of the other jeeps is killing me! ;)

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
City
Sydney
State
NS
Most have been moved.

There's:
An 99 XJ, 4.5" lift 35's and flat flares (Boss's)
An 84 blue ish CJ8 Overlander awaiting engine transplant to 4.0l, AW4 D300
My Grey Overlander, D44/60, 360 727 D300 (Flipped) Coilovers Long arm, H2 wheels, 35x13.5x17 Grabbers
My 194x bitsa 35x10.5 simex and soon to be ford 4.0l, np435 and d300 with CJ widetrack diffs.

That's pretty much it!

Does anyone have a pic of the 2 barrel throttle cable bracket? I only have the ball that the cable clips into, no other bracket for the outer housing.

Also has anyone tried converting the kick down linkage to cable? Success or no?

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Bracket?

Which cable bracket do you mean? Here is kinda a pic of mine. You can see where my cable is now about two inches to short but maybe that's the bracket?
Or do you mean the one just under/next to the space ship looking thingy in the right side of my pic?

Attachments

• IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 127

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
City
Sydney
State
NS
The throttle cable stop. If I attach my grottos cable, the outer housing just slides along the inner. There's nothing stopping it from moving- thus, no gas pedal. And wtf is the UFO? Mine is blanked off.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
I think the UFO thing is part of the emissions crap we have. My motor was pulled and installed with 100% of the original Wagoneer emissions junk, :(
Silly question, but do you have your return springs hooked up? Or is the cable making contact like the cable is longer than the shield/sheath thing it rides in??

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Nope.. I hav nothing. No brackets or anything. Just the throttle arm only.

Sounds like you are missing the bracket that mounts to the intake (under/in frnt of the UFO) that holds the cable. I'll see if I can get a better pic of it tomorrow when the Jeep jail (shop) is open. Its nothing fancy and you could probably make one by bending a piece of metal and making a simple clamp for it.

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
City
Sydney
State
NS
[video=youtube_share;QMWSm3BE-8M]http://youtu.be/QMWSm3BE-8M[/video]

Straight out of the manifolds!
Anyone know what master cylinder to use with J20 diffs? I have no brakes! Well, I do, but not worth driving any long distances!!
Also have an issue with the right rear lights- none of them work!

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Yippieeeeee for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

As for the tail light, make sure its making good ground at the body. My drivers side one goes on the fritz for the same reason. *not to self, fix that*

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
City
Sydney
State
NS
Thanks people!

Besides gassing myself with the number of holes I had to cut in the body to clear stuff, and wearing ear muffs, it steers fine with no PAS and rides awesomely. Just need to make a front shaft up and cut the rust out of the foot wells and mount the twin sticks again. I'm not happy with them between the seats.

Going to fit one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321044181067?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
This will get rid of the OE heaterbox and give me A/C at the same time. An added benefit is that it uses the same motor for both, which is not that waste of space OE one, but a proper wind in your face fan. I'm going to hide it where the glove box is, slightly inboard of that.
1 vent permanently to the demister
1 vent to the rear passengers
1 vent to the feet
1 vent to the body.

Going to use something like eyeball vents and a custom centre console (if I can get a bloody Art Carr shifter... how hard is it to get a quote to ship to Oz???) to get the rear passenger vent.

Switches will be replaced with OE knobs in the OE position. Will probably make the demister and vent pulls into possibly a rear demister (slimline fan or electrical strips) and possibly even a rear window wipe, if I can find a small enough throw.

Might try to bleed the brakes again and take it up to the exhaust shop today.

CJ ATE

Legacy Registered User
City
Vinton
State
VA
Man that has come along way since i last saw it!
Looks great man!

I will ship you an Art Carr shifter in exchange for a Overlander top! LOL

Yeah I want one bad lately for some reason.

Keep the pics coming man!

Cheers
Sean

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
City
Sydney
State
NS
Thanks guys.

Looking at cutting an old ammo can up to make the twin stick mount. Cut diagonally, it should be right for the space I need.

IMG_0099_zpsc1eb37d1.jpg

IMG_0101_zps36ba58c3.jpg

IMG_0100_zpseae2e70b.jpg

Still alot more travel to go, but I just maxed out the floor jack!
Wheels tuck nicely and are positioned well in the arches.

Can't wait for the exhaust!!!

Last edited:

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
City
Sydney
State
NS
Update:
Got a Vette style master, 1 1/8" and tried bleeding the brakes. I think I should have bench bled it. Oh well. I can stop, but I can't lock up and it's a bit hairy!low range down hill and it's a 2 foot stop!

Does anyone have any known heights ie lift heights? The top of my tub is currently at 46"on 35's. Just trying to work out what lift that equates to.

I'm 195cm to the top of the hard top, 43"to the seam where the cowl meets the 1/4 panel.

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
City
Sydney
State
NS
What's a good system to use force exhaust?
2.5x2 into a crossover, muffler then 2x2.25 out?
2.25x2 into crossover, muffler then somehow side pipes?

Anyone else got a 360 that can share their exhaust layout?