My Big Red Scrambler

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
I'd have to check a little more, but I'm not sure its design is compatible with the way the 5.3 vents? Unless you've figured out a way?

CJ and YJ canisters have the purge line to the engine, but it's controlled by a vacuum signal. With 5.3s the signal is from the computer so by default you'd have to have a way to keep the canister open?
I know how it works thanks.

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I'm running a 36" on mine right now. It's not long enough to go over the engine cover. If you run it under the cover it will have a tight turn which will quickly wear out the sleeve inside the cable. I'm on my 3rd cable in 2 years now. Next one I get will be a 4 ft cable. Even though it will be "too long," I'd rather have that than keep having to replace them.

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
I'm running a 36" on mine right now. It's not long enough to go over the engine cover. If you run it under the cover it will have a tight turn which will quickly wear out the sleeve inside the cable. I'm on my 3rd cable in 2 years now. Next one I get will be a 4 ft cable. Even though it will be "too long," I'd rather have that than keep having to replace them.
I’ve run this cable on a couple cj’s with ls swaps now with no problems. Now, this particular engine is moved forward a few inches so I may need to get the longer cable. But I seem to remember having to shorten the last cable when I did this.

I'd have to check a little more, but I'm not sure its design is compatible with the way the 5.3 vents? Unless you've figured out a way?

CJ and YJ canisters have the purge line to the engine, but it's controlled by a vacuum signal. With 5.3s the signal is from the computer so by default you'd have to have a way to keep the canister open?
In the past I used a cj canister which is vented on the bottom for fresh air to come in when purged. I’ll have to look again but I believe this yj canister is the same. Plus by not having a carb vent I can leave that fitting open and have another fresh air vent.

All I’m trying to do is not smell fuel. The charcoal should obsorb that. If it ever become saturated I’ll swap out for another one. But so far I’ve been running one for over a year in another ls swapped Jeep with no problem. Worst case I’ll program and use the purge valve on top of the intake.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Looking awesome! Wanting more and more to make mine similar because I really dig the look of the setup as a whole.

I do have a question though, and I don't know if it was addressed or not (couldn't find it), but is the TDK frame the same width as stock or is it wider? It looks like your 60 front spring pads are a direct match to the frame width, but that doesn't seem right if the frame is stock CJ width and the axle is stock. Am I missing something?

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
I do have a question though, and I don't know if it was addressed or not (couldn't find it), but is the TDK frame the same width as stock or is it wider? It looks like your 60 front spring pads are a direct match to the frame width, but that doesn't seem right if the frame is stock CJ width and the axle is stock. Am I missing something?
@Jeeperdd has narrowed 60s under this one. I’m sure he can tell you the actual width but that is probably why you are seeing what you are.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
@Jeeperdd has narrowed 60s under this one. I’m sure he can tell you the actual width but that is probably why you are seeing what you are.
Ah, that makes more sense. I must have missed that detail as well. TDK's website mentioned nothing about widths, so I was thoroughly confused. Thanks for pointing that out!

Back to this sweet "red" Scram though.....8-)

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Ah, that makes more sense. I must have missed that detail as well. TDK's website mentioned nothing about widths, so I was thoroughly confused. Thanks for pointing that out!

Back to this sweet "red" Scram though.....8-)
Frame width is the same or close to factory. Honestly I haven't measured it. The height of the TDK frame is different in the middle where it dips down from the axles. Therefor the body mounts in the middle of the frame are raised up and inch. The reason for this is the frame is all one solid piece of square tubing. No like the factory frame that is two C channels that are welded together on the top and bottom.

Axles where narrowed by PO, I measured them sometime ago and wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface was 58" or 60". Honestly I'd like them to be full width for stability but they are what they are. I will have to change the wheels as there is to much back spacing and the tires are hitting the springs at full lock. I need to find a set of wheels with less back spacing so that the tires set out away from the body more.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Frame width is the same or close to factory. Honestly I haven't measured it. The height of the TDK frame is different in the middle where it dips down from the axles. Therefor the body mounts in the middle of the frame are raised up and inch.

Axles where narrowed by PO, I measured them sometime ago and wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface was 58" or 60". Honestly I'd like them to be full width for stability but they are what they are.
Right on. Thanks for the insight! I really like how yours has big boy axles and big tires but still fits under the fender flares for a more sleeperish clean look, but I understand the nuances of narrowed axles. I'm just personally trying to figure out the sweet spot of axle width that isn't too wide or too custom. Sounds like 60" WMS isn't it...