• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My end-Tire thoughts on the subject...

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
I've been trying to decide what to do with tires since I discovered the new wheels (w/new tires) don't fit on the Wagoneer axles I'm using on my white jeep project. They hit the calipers in a big (not small) way _ I'd have to grind away half the metal. Spacers would have everything stick out too far, besides what they'd have to be custom-made for the 6-lug hubs. So I could put the new tires on the Wagoneer rims and either lose turning radius due to the backspacing being different, or I can wear the local gas station guy out and put the new tires on the tan jeep's rims, and take those tires and put them on the Wagoneer rims, which since the tires are shorter, works for clearance. I didn't think I'd like the bigger tires on the tan jeep, but I had the guy at the airport put one of the new tires on a spare rim, since they have to come off anyway, and took pictures and checked clearance.
big tire.jpglittle tire.jpgtire comp.jpg
Makes the old tires look too small, maybe. What do y'all think?

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Are they the same size? They do look smaller than the new ones. I do like the look of the new ones, they would look good with the new whit paint job on my project.:rotfl:

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
35's vs 33's. Fills the wheelwell about right, I think.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I love your old rims, but I agree that it looks like you could go up to that size and it would look great. I always prefer the slightly overstuffed look :thumbsup:

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
They'll go on the early-eighties rims, so as soon as I can get it together I think I'll have them moved on to the turbines. They have more backspacing than your old Wagoneer rims, which I'll put the 33's on, and put on the Waggy axles, and everything will only rub the springs slightly.

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
IMG-20141112-01675.jpgThinking of these rims for the white jeep. Might paint them all black tho.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Hugh,
You could swap the D44 front over to 5 on 5-1/2 fairly easily using junk yard dodge hubs and keep all your rims the same....for the rear waggy axle it may be more of a challenge...do you have the AMC 20 or the Dana 44?

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Hugh,
You could swap the D44 front over to 5 on 5-1/2 fairly easily using junk yard dodge hubs and keep all your rims the same....for the rear waggy axle it may be more of a challenge...do you have the AMC 20 or the Dana 44?
The front is fairly easy, it's that rear AMC HD20 that would need new axles. I am getting ready to put D44 flattop knuckes on the tan jeep for an improved high-steer arrangement, and I think those turbine-style rims have enough clearance for the big calipers. :fingerscrossed: I kind of wish I had gone with swapping all the hubs to 5 on 5.5 as it would make all this tire-swapping much easier. Just finished reworking some Toyota wheel spacers from G2 for the rear so the Waggy rim and its tire won't be lost under those Xenon flares. They fit all the rims BUT the Wagoneer rims, of course. :)

IMG-20141105-01661.jpg