• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My Fathers 81

chrisf608

City
Salem
State
WI
My dad bought it off the showroom floor in 1981 and has had it up until he passed away a couple years ago at 64? I have so many memories that include the old Scrambler. I have two young boys that I’m excited to share and make memories with.

Well now that it’s mine and I’ve finally been able to muscle down my tears every time I’m around the jeep or in the shop, I’ve decided to begin the build/restore.

I have never taken on a project like this before but I’ve help and watched my dad over the years do this same thing. I have almost 20years mechanical experience under my belt Now I’m a journeyman Carman/Welder for Union Pacific.

As for the Scrambler I’ve started to take it down to the frame so I can repair some rust.
Plans are LS TH350 D300 YJ OME 2.5 springs upgrade the AMC 20 and D30 4:56 gears, locker in the rear, unsure yet on which one. New body and paint. 8D150588-3C92-401F-A960-B36B3AD70099.jpeg034F5422-9EB1-4F74-916D-65374F07A8B3.jpeg8F79A059-7BF2-4E83-930F-EE3BE16A0696.jpeg7B63BA98-A85D-4B35-9DC7-FCA9B2275A48.jpeg8A525735-2F04-4FD8-B99C-22AAD66C84C5.jpeg1AF79501-05AC-4AF8-A08D-BEE22EF535A3.jpeg23831142-88CD-44AD-BD6B-2273EECA3B5A.jpegC8C52D54-3704-4702-BCF0-C1D7BB6A486E.jpegF871AE8A-7F77-4D69-A182-63FFD8EECFE7.jpegAE4F9CFD-8808-4341-A266-BEED95F4C851.jpeg

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Original paint? We'll have enough for a quorum in the 81 copper brown metallic club in no time!

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Making new memories with the kids.... Doesn't get any better. I lost my dad 3 weeks ago today, and understand having to muscle down tears. I have many great memories of he and I working on and driving diffirent Jeeps over the years. Jeeps have been part of my life from the begining, and I,ll be forever grateful to him for that.
You have a great looking Jeep, I'm looking foreward to seeing your project progress

chrisf608

City
Salem
State
WI
I tried to do a search for this but I was unsuccessful. Is there any information out there for replacement rear fuel tank crossmember? I obviously see the rear one is available but can’t seem to locate this one. Do I need to fab one up or just buy a rear one and cut it down to fit? Mine is full of holes.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
What a great project! I hope you intend to preserve the original paint.... :thumbsup:

Is there a reason (aside from the fact that you already have one) that you're going with the TH350 transmission instead of one of the newer transmissions that came behind the 5.3?

I'm thinking with 4.56 gears, you'd really appreciate having overdrive (and a locking torque converter), especially since 33" tires are realistically the biggest you'll use with the 2.5" OME springs (unless you're going SOA).

Keep us posted! :cheers:

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
As for the rear locker, Big Walton has a Detroit for sale for $250... great deal!

chrisf608

City
Salem
State
WI
What a great project! I hope you intend to preserve the original paint.... :thumbsup:

Is there a reason (aside from the fact that you already have one) that you're going with the TH350 transmission instead of one of the newer transmissions that came behind the 5.3?

I'm thinking with 4.56 gears, you'd really appreciate having overdrive (and a locking torque converter), especially since 33" tires are realistically the biggest you'll use with the 2.5" OME springs (unless you're going SOA).

Keep us posted! :cheers:
Main reasons I’m going with the TH350 is cost, performance and simplicity. I have a total of $300 in the trans. Refreshed with all the updates and the bolt in center support. The 4l60 requires a separate controller, which I do not have. It would cost me 4x as much to get a 4l60 and converter to hold 400hp and perform as well as this 350, it just has no economical features. ?This jeep will see very little interstate use, it’s been a toss up between the 4:10 or 4:56.

Yea that’s a good price for a locker.
Everyone says that about the paint color, I’m still on the fence about that one too. I like it but I don’t love it.

Last edited:

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I tried to do a search for this but I was unsuccessful. Is there any information out there for replacement rear fuel tank crossmember? I obviously see the rear one is available but can’t seem to locate this one. Do I need to fab one up or just buy a rear one and cut it down to fit? Mine is full of holes.

Do you mean the skid plate?

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Looks like a really cool project, very cool that it was your dads and you get to rebuild it with your kids :thumbsup:

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Everyone says that about the paint color, I’m still on the fence about that one too. I like it but I don’t love it.
Not that you asked, but another vote for the original copper brown, white wheels with orange and yellow decals. That's an awesome color combo, especially being original to you and your dad.
Decals are available here: https://www.phoenixgraphix.com/amc/8182jsc.php

Good luck with the resto!

chrisf608

City
Salem
State
WI
Today I drove up to the shop to pull the engine and trans off the chassis, because someone was coming to buy them. Well, I really got to get a good look at the frame and there is no way I’m going to reuse it. This issue may set my plans back a little but I’m just going to bite the bullet on a TDK frame. I was thinking I could fix it, but it’s too far gone. F7EDB538-EF6E-49EC-A372-959E73B17EC6.jpeg5CD1D994-ADCB-4000-9E61-1685D663B7EE.jpegD7E8D786-DCC3-4068-88C9-56565CC61CAC.jpegB517405E-7ACD-49E3-AC71-C4FDEED04603.jpeg

Last edited:

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
I don't know much about rusty frames. But at least you know with the TDK you'll have a solid foundation for many years to come. Also, I don't know if you've looked at the CJ Hybrid frame they offer. It allows you to run a link suspension like the TJs. Something to consider.

chrisf608

City
Salem
State
WI
I just want to do it correctly. It’s kind of a shame that I that I need to replace everything to make it that way. It’ll get there, eventually. I did notice the the hybrid frame they offer. My spending would get out of control if I went that route. I’m going to stick with my original plan with the YJ springs.