• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My Postal archive

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Beginning:

So, in the late summer of 2006, I think, I found a 1984 Postal cross posted from another forum on the Alaska 4x4 network forum for sale. The gentleman with it for sale was having a hard time moving it. He got it on trade for some other equipment. His thought was building it so his wife could use it. She drove it once and refused to drive it again. I was told it was the drive train from one Postal and the body from another mated together (this was later confirmed by the VIN on the body and the numbers stamped on the RH side of the outer frame rail in the rear wheel well). I stumbled across it, dropped the plan on my wife, and away we went. Called Eric Walton and asked some questions. Got the vehicle shipped to us and then got the title in the mail about 6 weeks later. His wife said she mailed it out and it ended up being found in a stack of their paid bills on their kitchen table. It never ran right from the beginning and was weak. Compression test showed the number 5 cyl was dead. We ended up finding what we were told was a low 30K mile 258 and had that swapped over. The person doing the swap (not the seller of the motor) then figured out it was a 232 as certain things were not matching. Well, the 232 provided less power than the 258 with a dead cylinder. this thing couldn't get out of it's own way. Ran the 232 for a couple years then the bottom end went out on that. Got good and sick of it and let it sit and marinate in the garage a few years until we found the current 360 that was out of a waggy. Was said to be built and low miles, so we took another chance on a motor. We have had the rust on the side of the tub near the drivers floor pan repaired as well as the drivers floor and back door repaired not long after getting it. I will add pictures as I find them off other devices and forums. I need to get them all housed in once place and will try to update if anything else ever gets done. Currently we need to add a dana 44 rear axle (which we bought years ago already) and re-gear. This has been in the works for ten years but keeps getting back burner-ed from other projects.

As advertised with 33" tires and jungle gym front bumper in Alaska and picture the day it arrived.

Attachments

• postaldriver.jpg
    postaldriver.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 19
  • postalrocks.jpg
    postalrocks.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 19
  • scrambler-1.jpg
    scrambler-1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Here it is minus the doors when we got it. I took the doors off first thing just because I was in an out of it so much the first come weeks crawling around on it.

Sorry for the photobucket water marks on the pictures. They were hosted and still up on another forum, so I saved them all that way, as I no longer had them saved anywhere else.

Attachments

• postal003.jpg
    postal003.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 7
  • postal002.jpg
    postal002.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 6
  • postal005.jpg
    postal005.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 8
  • postal015.jpg
    postal015.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 9
  • postal010.jpg
    postal010.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 9

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Next few pictures show the rear tub guard that was welded in as well as the previous poorly patched floor and rust cut out from the body. Also, the junk 258 that came in it and the literature from the glove box.

Attachments

• postal016.jpg
    postal016.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 6
  • postal020.jpg
    postal020.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 7
  • postal023.jpg
    postal023.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 7
  • postal021.jpg
    postal021.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 8
  • postal017.jpg
    postal017.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 8
  • postal007.jpg
    postal007.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 8

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Also, I stripped the foam out. This is the worst thing a jeep owner might be lucky enough to do in their life time. Their was enough foam that it filled the entire jeep up to the top of the tub. And then after cleaning it out you have tiny pieces of it whip around in the cab and sting your eyes for the next couple years driving it.

Attachments

• Pictures002.jpg
    Pictures002.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Pictures004.jpg
    Pictures004.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Pictures009.jpg
    Pictures009.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Pictures008.jpg
    Pictures008.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 9

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Some pictures before and after of the body work we had done. The back door was crispy on the bottom from the window seal leaking. The door had some holes drilled in at as well where there was a hasp lock on it. Local body guy redid the back door, back of the Jeep tub, top, hinges, new drivers floor, and side repair. He did a great job.

He and his son now run a small company called Dodge Central of Michigan. They are one of the only places that make special repair panel parts for Dodge pickups 1930's-'80's. They won an award with a truck at Sema a couple years back and have been in magazines with it.

Attachments

• postal002.jpg
    postal002.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 8
  • postal001.jpg
    postal001.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4177.jpg
    IMG_4177.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4176.jpg
    IMG_4176.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4170.jpg
    IMG_4170.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 10

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Couple pics of it as it is today. These were from Silver Lake Sandblast event, 2017 I think?

Attachments

• Scram1 2017.jpg
    Scram1 2017.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Postal 2017.jpg
    Postal 2017.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 8
  • SLpostal.JPG
    SLpostal.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 8