• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My "Why I'm Not Getting Anything Jeep Related Done" Build.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Rebuilding this thread with emphasis on pictures up until this point. Data lost in the "Great Server Collapse of 2017".

Nothing Jeep related is getting done at my place for a reason. My 92 year old Mom decided to sell her house in SoCal and move up with us. We decided that adding on to our current house would be the best living situation all around. We are building a 2 story 1600 SQ FT addition with a "Granny Flat" downstairs and bedrooms for the grandkids upstairs. Plus making an additional master suite out of 2 bedrooms downstairs and adding a walk in closet. There will be four generations living at our place- my Mom, Carol and me, out daughter and husband and their 3 kids. Anyone remember the Waltons?

As if that wasn't enough a 36' x 48' shop will also be going up. My son-in-law and I will be splitting that, 24' x 36' for each of us. not huge but at least I will be able to work on more than one vehicle at once.

So...we started out on our 2 acres with a beautiful grassy back yard with some large trees. early on we realized that we would have to replace and upgrade the whole septic system. Bye Bye beautiful, hello dirt...

IMG_5891.jpg

Excavation and forms-

IMG_5912.jpg

IMG_5914.jpg

Oops! might as well replace the water line from the well. There goes the front yard grass.

IMG_5984.jpg

Here's where we are living while all this is going on.

IMG_5915.jpg

Footings and some joists-

IMG_5936.jpg

IMG_5937.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Joists-

IMG_5981.jpg

IMG_5983.jpg

Having a hard time with the timeline here...about this time the smoke from all the fires cleared, and the back yard got back to level ground.

IMG_5982.jpg

And then there was a wall...

IMG_5999.jpg

And it's starting to take shape-

IMG_6032.jpg

IMG_6034.jpg

2nd floor!

IMG_6035.jpg

More walls!

IMG_6048.jpg

IMG_6050.jpg

We're catching up fast here. Roof trusses showed up Monday-

53049793772__5A39A7B1-A134-4485-9252-9E1DC037B4BE.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
And today the trusses were set and the roof sheeting started to go on.

53058412899__CF51B704-06FF-4681-BC43-55CA8B5A13DF.jpg

From this point, updates will be in real time, and more details will be shared.

Here's a few take-aways so far.

The trailer is great for vacation, but after 4 months, we're pretty sick of it. I miss a real bed.
Hiring a builder in no way means that you get to sit back and watch it happen.
Always consider the bid as a starting point. We had to add a septic system and a water main.
We also re-graveled the driveway with recycled asphalt, and enlarged the parking area to accommodate about 6 more vehicles. More $$$

That's it for now!

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Nice. BUT... pick up the pace, snow will be flying before very long. :wave:

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
I know that is a lot of work, but it looks great. Built my last two houses and its a lot of work, but I get excited when I'm doing it and go from sunup to sundown each day. Love it. Good luck, its looking great

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Picture as of yesterday evening. Things are really moving along. Looks like I'm building a motel from this angle...

IMG_6078.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wow, that's awesome!

I was thinking about you and the additions you're doing while I was mowing today. I was trying to figure out how I'd add on to our place along those same lines if I were doing it. Fun mental exercise.

48Bob

Legacy Registered User
City
Montrose
State
CO
Wow Randy, it is looking great. A lot of work now but it will really be worth it in the long run!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Been a while since I updated this. Carol and I took some much needed R&R, recharged our batteries. We're back home now. As of Friday, they finished the roof! Next week's plans include windows, doors, and siding. Once it's all sealed up the builders will move inside, electrical, insulaton, etc.

IMG_6133.jpg

IMG_6134.jpg

IMG_6132.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
7DA64ACC-48C4-4BC0-BB0D-F5E540275D73.jpg

3FAFCDFC-6814-4BBF-81C9-132E28911584.jpg

As of today. Windows mostly in, siding going up, electrician has started to work. My builder had his best guy leave for greener pastures, and the new guys were slower than slow. So the builder took over the project himself, and the guy that left is now back. Things are looking up!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Time for more excavation carnage. Went with an underground feed for the new 400A service, another trench through the lawn. No more power pole in the back yard!

IMG_0049.jpg

Excavation for the shop also happened. Forms and concrete next week!:bacon::woohoo::bacon:

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Siding is also progressing- it's almost done. It's looking really good, IMHO. Plus, the electrician is really making progress, so the next week should be interesting. We are pretty much getting a full rewire of the whole house, and there will be times without power. He's going to try and stagger them so we always have heat and hot water...:fingerscrossed: The initial house was built in 1971, so I am having the electrician to inspect and replace anything that's questionable.

IMG_0048.jpg

Lastly, the HVAC guys were here prepping for install of the system for the addition. We're going with a 5 head Lennox mini-split, can you say climate control for each room? Gonna be awesome!

Last edited:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Was thinking of you the other day. Was wondering how far you got. Up here you would have been done with most outside work around 3 weeks ago. Looks in the pics you still have some good weather over there.

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
Randy,

Nice work!!! lots of work... but it will be worth it! house looks great but can't wait to see the garage!
7jeeps7kings (Drew)

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Thanks for the thoughts! The process is dreadfully slow, but it's getting done right. I've seen a building in town that has gone up like a weed...but there's a crew of 10 guys working on it. We have 2 at a time plus subs.

Drew- I can't wait to be in the garage!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Shop footing forms almost done today, concrete comes tomorrow as long as the weather plays nice.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Well, footers and stem walls poured for the shop. Monday comes backfill and gravel. They will build the shop and do the floor last. I'm getting excited!

IMG_0100.jpg

As as the house goes, electrical rough is done, along with plumbing rough and HVAC rough. Insulation happens Monday, then drywall. Siding is done too.

IMG_0084.jpg

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Well, footers and stem walls poured for the shop. Monday comes backfill and gravel. They will build the shop and do the floor last. I'm getting excited!
As as the house goes, electrical rough is done, along with plumbing rough and HVAC rough. Insulation happens Monday, then drywall. Siding is done too.

That's looking great Randy.

I'm sure you said before, but what size is the shop? (l x w x h)