• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Name that Axle...

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
20180919_175347.jpg

Ok folks. Time to play "Name that Axle".

I really have no idea what kind of axle is under this Scrambler. Can anyone venture a guess?

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
So some quick google searching turns up as an AMC 20.

What is your opinion on this axle running 37" tires? I suspect that it is a recipe for disaster, but how bad is it?

Thanks!

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
So some quick google searching turns up as an AMC 20.

What is your opinion on this axle running 37" tires? I suspect that it is a recipe for disaster, but how bad is it?

Thanks!
Meh. You might get away with it, but you'll want to do some turd-polishing. The ring and pinion on the AMC 20 will hold up just fine (it's larger than a Dana 44), but the issue is with the 2-piece axle-shafts. If you upgrade to the 1-piece shafts (which a PO may already have done since they broke so commonly; just check to see if you have a hub on the outside), that'll be one major step, but it's still a 29 spline shaft, so a tad smaller than a 44. But still the same shaft used on the FSJs. The other weakness in the CJ version of this axle was the relatively small area for the tubes to press into the cast differential, combined with simply smaller tubes than the FSJ version. Adding a truss will solve that problem. At that point, assuming you aren't throwing a lot of horsepower at it, and aren't stupid with the gas, I'd chance it with a 37". I have at least one friend running a 37" Bogger on his AMC 20.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
I agree with all said above. If you are driving around town it will hold up. Any wheeling to be done and you would need to make some serious accommodations to beef it up. I would say 35"s might be the limit in my opinion . Not to mention needing to go wider as you go taller. For larger than 35"s and 4" of lift I would go with some FSJ axles or some 1tons for a wider stance and more strength. Definitely have to consider H.P. and gearing. Probably something like 4.88 or 5.13.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Back in the old days the rule of thumb was no bigger than 33 in tires on the AMC 20 and 35 in tires for the Dana 44. Somewhere along the line when the wrangler came standard with Dana 44's and you could fit 37's with very little lift, all of a sudden everyone was running Dana 44's with 37's and even 40 in tires and then wondering why they were bending and then calling the axles junk.