• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Name that noise

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
So the Scrambler has thrown me a curve ball over the last month or so. It started making a noise that sounds like a medium-pitched humming or whine coming from somewhere around the bell housing, at least that's what it sounds like. My initial thoughts were pilot bushing or throwout bearing but I was hoping to get some second and third opinions before I remove the transmission. Here are the details:

-4.2l w/T5
-Restored 6 years ago by me, engine and trans were left untouched and were in perfect working order, still seem to be.
-replaced rear main seal, throwout bearing but not the pilot bushing or clutch/flywheel
-noise is made with clutch in or out
-noise corresponds to RPM on light revs from 1000-2000...possibly at higher revs but it is drowned out by engine.
-noise is made in gear or out with clutch engaged and disengaged
-noise does not change with clutch engagement which is why I am leaning away from the throwout bearing

Link is a video for assistance in diagnosing the issue. Any help to narrow it down before I start removing components would be appreciated.
Whining Noise
Noise while driving

Last edited:

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
Have you done anything in the last couple months that might've changed the driveline angle? Also, an easy check- my bellhousing to engine bolts began to work loose early last year, which altered the clutch engagement angle- had a somewhat similar whine that came on gradually over time. Took some sleuthing to identify that issue. Running the same drive train on my 84. Just taking potshots in the dark here...

Hoov

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Check the bolts holding your starter motor to the engine as well.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
All things I haven't thought of. I will check them tonight, thanks gents.

I have not done anything to the Jeep besides oil changes and routine maintenance over the past 6 years so anything causing this has either worked loose or worn out over time.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
Well, the good news is I checked all the bolts and they are still torqued. Bad news is the noise is still there, I fear I may have to pull the trans. That will have to be a winter project. If I pull it to check the pilot bushing and throwout bearing, do I put the T-5 back in!?

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
Glad the easy things are confirmed. I'm less suspicious of the pilot bearing and throw out being the source of the noise, only because the sound continues even with the clutch pedal out. The input shaft should be immobilized and unable to move. I had a worn pilot on mine some time back, and a sound/vibration was only evident when the clutch was pressed- my pilot was wallowed out big time. With the same reasoning, don't think it's the throw out either. With the clutch pedal out, throw out shouldn't be spinning unless the linkage is out of adjustment.

Also, with the clutch depressed, nothing should be spinning, at least not quickly, in the T-5.

Hate to even ask, but could it be possible that the noise is originating in rear of the engine?

Hoov

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
With the clutch pedal out, throw out shouldn't be spinning unless the linkage is out of adjustment.

With six years of wear on the clutch, maybe the pressure plate has started riding the throwout bearing all the time... and that whine does have kind of a "dry bearing" sound to it. Does the linkage/throwout arm have plenty of play?

If I pull it to check the pilot bushing and throwout bearing, do I put the T-5 back in!?

I had bad luck with a T5, so my gut says swap in an AX15... but you've been running the T5 for a long time, and it seems to be holding up. I'm sure you've read what Novak has to say about it: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&channel=tus&q=t5+jeep+transmission , and I think you'll find similar sentiments from other members here.

Good luck! :wave:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Had a similar sound on my ford truck (automatic). Sound was intermittent at first. Mechanic found that the starter was hanging up partly engaged. Might be worth pulling the starter to check the operation of the starter.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
Thanks Jammer1, I will try the starter before I dive into anything more invasive.

CJ7Pilot, 6 years of wear on the clutch since I restored the Jeep but also I did not replace the clutch when I restored it. It looked like it was in good shape and was not slipping so there could be more wear on it now than just 6 years. I have been researching the AX15 and NV3550 options and that might be the way I go this winter. Although I can't complain about the T-5 up until this point, it has honestly surprised me how well it has done with the 33's. Of course I only do some beach wheeling a few times a year and a small obstacle course at Jeep Week. So it gets used pretty light.