need ideas on a rotisserie.

Idigmycj8

Basic User
City
Rensselaer, Indiana, United States
State
In
Hello fello jeepsters!
I need some ideas on building a versital n compact auto rotisserie.
I am starting planning on restoring my 1981 cj8. It has some rust issues n I want to build a rotisserie so I can get to every angle of the body possible. making it easier on myself. I need use some ideas on how to build one. Want to spend no more then $500.00 on materials. I would like to be able to take it apart n store it. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks to all who respond. :thumbsup:

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Pair of engine stands?
That is what I did. HF cheepies.

image.jpg

Not a great picture...I had to weld in extensions to make them about 8" taller so it would rotate 360 degrees. Bolted a piece of steel angle at the rear tailgate area to mount the engine stand, and center up the center of gravity. This worked perfect!

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
City
Russllville
State
TN
The one mine is on is my buddys, I can't post a pic yet but will soon in my build thread. It's homemade, it's the same basic layout as most of them. The one thing I thought that was really neat about it was that where he made the part that it rotates he used 2 old disk brake hubs and calipers. He has about a half inch threaded rod with a T-handle on it that applys pressure to the piston in the caliper so that when you can set it at any angle you want it you can hold it and it wont budge. As long as you set it on it evenly you can rotate it with very little effort. It's so much easier to work on, I don't mind working on it near as much.

Idigmycj8

Basic User
City
State
In
dmock did you have to make the engine stands taller to get them to work? what all did you have to do to them? thanks for everyone's help.

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I thought about building one but when I found out that I could get one for $1100.00 including shipping to my house I just bought one. It was much better than I could build.

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
dmock did you have to make the engine stands taller to get them to work? what all did you have to do to them? thanks for everyone's help.
I extended the upright of both stands 8" by welding in some 3/16 rectangular tube I had. Without the extension I could not rotate the tub 360 degrees as the centerline of the tub to each side of the tub is wider than the engine stand centerline to the leg. Sorry but here is the only other picture I could find that shows the engine stand(s). Also If you zoom in you can see how I added angle to the tailgate area to center up the engine stand. This set up was surprisingly stable, and made working on it a breeze. Locking pins in the stands held it in place.

image.jpg

Idigmycj8

Basic User
City
State
In
Thanks dmock. info n pics was a great help.. n thanks to everyone else for the feed bad much appreciated

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I shopped Ebay for one and the add said call for shipping before ordering. I called and found out that they had even a better deal straight from the store than they listed on ebay. When I got it is was very pleased, good powder coating and hydraulic jacks, multi lock positions, full length center cross bar, 3 locking swivel wheels each end.

This is the ebay ad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Kernel-...1082479430&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Guy I have repair my saws repairs equipment and does welding and fab said he ordered one (don't remember from where). He said after buying the metal and parts it would cost him the same or more than the one he found.

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
I did a lot of research before I bought mine. It wasn't cheap but the quality, features and utility of it for more than just a rotisserie is awesome. I bought the whirly jig that can be found here: http://www.whirlyjig.com/

I thoroughly recommend it. Ask my buddy Jake how much of a difference it has made working on his CJ7. If anyone decides to get one please let them know I sent you there.

Truck