Need source for a frame crossmember

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
City
Russllville
State
TN
Hey guys, I've been searching for a part that I can't seem to find and thought I would post here to see if someone could point me in the right direction. The fuel tank mounts via the fuel tank skid plate. I'm looking for the rear crossmember the skid plate mounts to. Mine is pretty rusty and would like to replace it before putting the tank back in. Anyone know where I might find one?

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
If it’s the one about a foot forward of the rearmost crossmember, I just cut a perfect one out of my frame. If it’s the rearmost one, Cheifwaho makes the best there is.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
I thought that was just the CJ-7 rear crossmember, trimmed down? Even if not, I bet you could trim an aftermarket 7 rear crossmember (since it already has the necessary holes for the gas tank skid) and weld it in place.

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I believe AK-RWC is right. You could trim down on of Chief’s crossmembers and have a really stout mount.

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
City
Russllville
State
TN
Sorry for the delay in replying. I messaged. ( I think I did anyway. Lol ) Chief Waho about his crossmember. I needed the very last one also. Randy I do believe we are talking about the same one, I measured looked like 14.5" from the very last one the bumper mounts on. I'll try to post a pic if I can. Would you be interested in selling me the one you took out?

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
You can have it- I don’t know if it will help though. I was hoping you had some stubs left on the frame rails, because I cut it about 1/4” shy of the frame rails on each side. Let me know if you want it. I can go out and measure it/ take a pic tomorrow.

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
City
Russllville
State
TN
You can have it- I don’t know if it will help though. I was hoping you had some stubs left on the frame rails, because I cut it about 1/4” shy of the frame rails on each side. Let me know if you want it. I can go out and measure it/ take a pic tomorrow.
Yea If it's pretty solid I'd like to have it, I don't mind welding tabs on, gotta weld it back to rails anyway. Send pics when you get time. Thank you very much.👍

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
City
Russllville
State
TN
I've got the tub of my '81 on a rotisserie so it was easier to get to to make a template for the '82. Made the template and then traced from that and cut it out with the plasma cutter. I had access to a 250ton shear, that's how I made the top and bottom of the channel. I did this a long time ago on a CJ5. I TIG'ed it all together then. Didn't have access to one so I miged it all together. It's taken a long time. I could make the supports but that would take more time, I am Jeepless and have been for a while. I need one on the road soon.

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I measured the cross member I cut out, it’s at 32 inches. Here’s some pics. The last two are of the bit that was left on the frame. No rust other than a bit of surface. If you want it PM your address.
C1373719-F524-416D-AC2F-A9BF405F5E9F.jpeg DDDF533B-4425-4355-B405-6CFFEC9EB5A4.jpeg B3EE86F6-8E68-4F06-8BB1-67F17A343BFE.jpeg 9244014D-FDC1-4C7F-8C75-E42F9701FB7A.jpeg