• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Needing upgrade axles for Jeep Commando project

ddavis

SOA Member
City
State
KS
I am looking for ideas as to which axles would work best in a 72 Jeep Commando. This Jeep will be used for things that I don't want to tear up the body on the Scrambler doing. I want to run 33's and gear it low, and since it is a commando, I will probably do a spring over axle on it. I was thinking maybe finding some wide tracks from a cj to put under it, or maybe axles from a Wagoneer. If anyone has experience with lifting and axle swapping on a Commando, please provide input.
Thanks.

ddavis

SOA Member
City
State
KS
Yes I have, I even have a similar post on that forum. I have been on this forum more than any other and I value the input and opinions of the folks here the most.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I built a 70 Jeepster, and a 73 Commando. The rear axle is a D44, and aside from being narrow track, it's a pretty good axle. I swapped in the widetrack disc 30 from my 82 Scrambler into the '70, and put 2" spacers out back to equalize the width. Worked great, another member here bought it and it's still running strong.

Waggy axles- I have them in my Scrambler currently. Not too pleased with the AMC23 rear, I keep destroying shafts with my Vortec. :rolleyes: You'll have to outboard the front spring hangers, and weld new perches on the housing in the rear. Or, if you're comfortable narrowing a J-10 front, take 4" out of the long side, it will then bolt up and match a Waggy rear. If you're going this route find a centered D44 rear out of a 90-91 Waggy.

ddavis

SOA Member
City
State
KS
I hate to hear that about the HD20, I was kinda leaning that way. I think it will be hard for me to find a D44 from a 90-91 wagoneer, but I will keep my eyes open for one. Since I am doing a spring-over, I would like to go wider with axles. Currently my Commando has the narrow track D30 and D44. There is a guy locally who has a 3/4 ton D44 and D60 with detroits and very low gears for sale, but I believe they are from a Chevy truck which from what I have read will be even wider than a J series truck. Thanks for the input.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I hate to hear that about the HD20, I was kinda leaning that way. I think it will be hard for me to find a D44 from a 90-91 wagoneer, but I will keep my eyes open for one. Since I am doing a spring-over, I would like to go wider with axles. Currently my Commando has the narrow track D30 and D44. There is a guy locally who has a 3/4 ton D44 and D60 with detroits and very low gears for sale, but I believe they are from a Chevy truck which from what I have read will be even wider than a J series truck. Thanks for the input.

A lot of guys use and like the Waggy AMC23, I just haven't had the best of luck with a lead foot, locker, and a LS engine...