53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
This thread is a summary of Name That Noise from drivetrain. Turns out it was the alternator...making the noise I described below:

Original post:
So the Scrambler has thrown me a curve ball over the last month or so. It started making a noise that sounds like a medium-pitched humming or whine coming from somewhere around the bell housing, at least that's what it sounds like. My initial thoughts were pilot bushing or throwout bearing but I was hoping to get some second and third opinions before I remove the transmission. Here are the details:

-4.2l w/T5
-Restored 6 years ago by me, engine and trans were left untouched and were in perfect working order, still seem to be.
-replaced rear main seal, throwout bearing but not the pilot bushing or clutch/flywheel
-noise is made with clutch in or out
-noise corresponds to RPM on light revs from 1000-2000...possibly at higher revs but it is drowned out by engine.
-noise is made in gear or out with clutch engaged and disengaged
-noise does not change with clutch engagement which is why I am leaning away from the throwout bearing

Link is a video for assistance in diagnosing the issue. Any help to narrow it down before I start removing components would be appreciated.

Alternator Whining...just discovered
***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
And now some other issues are making more sense. At first I thought it could just be the bearings but I think the whole thing is crapping out.

Reasons:
Battery was dead after 1mo of not driving. Thats typical, but what isn't typical is after a jump I drove it for about 30 min and went to restart it a week later and the battery was back at 8 volts. VM-shows its charging but I don't think it is doing a good job.

-Left front turn signals aren't working with the stalk or the 4 way flashers. This happened about a month before I noticed the whine. Replaced bulbs checked grounds, checked the column switch...all good. Driving me nuts but this could be the culprit!?

-Radio became very quiet all of a sudden, about the same time as the lights.

My questions is, should i get an OMIX replacement or try one from NAPA that puts out more amps. I heard there may be one for a 94 Caprice or 84 Camaro that could bolt right up but do they wire right up?....require clocking?

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Omix has not proven reliable on anything they make. I’d either get it rebuilt locally or buy a high output version by oe of the custom companies.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
Thanks for the tips. Since I don't plan on putting a winch on in the near future I went with a NAPA replacement alternator. It is what had been on the Jeep since '01 and was a 78 amp unit.

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
I put a power master brand alternator on mine and haven't had a problem since. I run a howell FI, HEI distributer, A/C, power windows, cruise control, and I few other electrical creature comforts.
I kept watching my volt meter struggle to maintain 12 volts, After putting the power master on it, it stays at 14 even with the turn signals and lights on. One of the better upgrades I've done.