New but not so new

rareform

Basic User
City
alta loma
State
ca
My name is jeff from SoCal and apparently I joined this forum in 2011 when I was looking for a scrambler however I ended up buying and building a 71 jeepster. i recently sold the jeepster to my buddy who helped me build it. He is building a 2nd jeepster with the same plan as mine just going with the jeepster platform. I really like the jeepster but cant shake the scrambler craving. I have been looking for one for sale and can not seem to find what I’m looking for and feel I can build it for close to a price comparable to the ones I’ve seen for sale so I will post my build here to keep track and hopefully be heckled as well.

before I start I will say I need a enough room for 3 people and about 3 days of supply’s and the scrambler fits the bill expect for the rear over hang Which I plan to address. I will mostly be rock crawling it, I have a new JIU for the other stuff.
so the plan Is to keep it simple.
LS engine
turbo 400 unless I find a deal with engine and trans
Atlas 3.8
new frame
new steel tub and yes I’ve looked into them and I know the replica is not perfect but with a crawler I’m not sure it’s a deal breaker.
3 seats
custom cage
42“ pit bull tires with headlocks
ford 60 high pinion ARB locker
ford 10.5 rear ended ARB locker
stretch wheel base to 114“to 116“
psc hydro assist
3 link front and 4 link the rear
king coilovers

Just writing this makes me question my sanity.

please feel free to bash my plan or make suggestion.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Welcome back! :thumbsup:

I joined this forum in '04, and forgot about it. In '14 I finally bought a Scrambler, and I was shocked when I tried to sign up (again), and my username wasn't available! Big Walton helped me get it figured out, though.

Anyhow, I like your idea for the build. You've got a pretty specific mission, and a ground-up purpose-built rig will likely save you a lot of time, versus modifying/re-modifying an old one.

I look forward to watching your progress! :cheers:

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I see you're in CA. If you plan to register this for the road research how to smog the LS. It can be done but it takes the right moves.

rareform

Basic User
City
alta loma
State
ca
So I finally have some updates
i Have the jeep in the shop with the old cage out along with the fenders hood and grill.
the engine trans and axles are on the floor waiting and the atlas has been ordered.

Attachments

Drew

Basic User
City
The Woodlands
State
TX
just getting back on too after many years..
have an ‘85 scrambler that’s been used on occasion at the farm, so it looks & runs like it.. wondering how much $$$ i should sink into it (i’m not that mechanically inclined, so i’m searching for a shop that would know & understand the scrambler specifically).

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
just getting back on too after many years..
have an ‘85 scrambler that’s been used on occasion at the farm, so it looks & runs like it.. wondering how much $$$ i should sink into it (i’m not that mechanically inclined, so i’m searching for a shop that would know & understand the scrambler specifically).
what are you looking to have done? How much to spend is directly related to what you personally want. Scramblers are a very poor investment if you are looking for something that will give a return on what you spend. But they are great for smiles per $.

Drew

Basic User
City
The Woodlands
State
TX
“howdy” ag4ever (a&m grad?) and thanks for your response. you make a good point, and it’s one i haven’t decided yet.. do you have a good recommendation for a shop in the houston area?

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
TAMU, Class of ‘97.

I do my own work (mostly), but there are some shops I have heard of. Most will be more than finding a local mechanic that is willing to work on old iron. For work on my daily drivers I use a local to me firestone. They have done most of the maintenance and even changed the evaporator in my truck. But that is a different deal.

If you just need a tune, most places can do that, if you need a complete fuel system replacement, well that is more than most will want to do, even though it is not terribly difficult, just time consuming.

rareform

Basic User
City
alta loma
State
ca
Picked up my hood from Chris Durham out at King of the Hammers and while I was there I had my arm twisted at the PSC booth and ordered my full hydro steering. Wednesday we are headed back to watch Everyman challenge it’s about a 1-1/2 hour drive I’ll post some pictures of the race from cougar butte.

Attachments