New Cage Installed - Scrambler Restomod

City
Lake Travis Hill Country
State
TX
Finally got my new cage completed and installed. Came out great. For those who may remember when I purchased this restomod over the summer...it had the factory hoop and strapless bikini top, which looked ok, but didn't really seem all that strong. (BTW - if anyone wants/needs a factory hoop, come and get it!).

Anyway, I ended up going with a CJ7 GenRight cage. We got some extra tubing to stretch the distance between the B- and C-Pillars, and also added another pillar between B and C (so I guess I have a B, C, and D now) that lands on top of the wheel houses.

Came out great, powdercoated black to match the other black trim. Let me know what y'all think.

NewCage2.jpg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Definently looks better with the cage than just the factory hoop with bikini on it!

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I’d be happy to take the original hoop off your hands. I hope to be in Llano sometime between now and Jan 1 (hopefully a few times if schedule allows).

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Hard to picture a cage that looks any better than yours. I'm sure there are great functioning cages and ones that look nice, but yours has the lines that just flow with the Scrambler.

City
Lake Travis Hill Country
State
TX
Thanks for all the complement guys! I'll be putting the passenger seat and rear seat back in on Friday or Saturday. I'll take more pics showing how it's mounted at that time and post them here.

City
Lake Travis Hill Country
State
TX
I’d be happy to take the original hoop off your hands. I hope to be in Llano sometime between now and Jan 1 (hopefully a few times if schedule allows).
I'm going to put this in a separate thread, probably over the upcoming weekend. But, I want to get rid of the following parts all at one time. They're just taking up space, and I'm not looking to make any money on them, but I also don't want to just throw them away.

- Original Hoop - great condition. And, it has some type of textured coating on it, flat black.
- Strapless Bikini Top. I think it's Bestop, don't remember for sure now, but I'll find out. Also in great condition.
- Tuff Storage Box - for those that saw the original dealer ad, this is the locking / sliding storage box that was under the rear seat. I just don't plan to re-install it...no real use for it.
- Full Soft Top - The previous owner gave me his full soft top for it that he purchased some time ago. Appears to be brand new and never installed. I just have it sitting in my attic.

Again, I'll put this in another post. And, I'll take $300 cash for all of it, but you have to come and get it (or meet me in the Austin/Hill Country area). I'm too lazy to ship anything!

Last edited:

zdatjeep

Basic User
City
merritt island
State
fl
Wow what a deal, on that note shipping has gotten crazy expensive so people are better off picking up.
Back to your post- great set of bars- are those the family cage set up sold on Ebay?
I gave up looking for a better deal, someone quoted me crazy money to weld them together, I went with the hard rock rear bar set up, no serious offroading here, just needed a mounting point to add seat belts above the shoulder.

City
Lake Travis Hill Country
State
TX
Wow what a deal, on that note shipping has gotten crazy expensive so people are better off picking up.
Back to your post- great set of bars- are those the family cage set up sold on Ebay?
I gave up looking for a better deal, someone quoted me crazy money to weld them together, I went with the hard rock rear bar set up, no serious offroading here, just needed a mounting point to add seat belts above the shoulder.
No, not the ebay family cage kit. I saw that when I was shopping around, but something just didn't look right to me...the shape or something. I couldn't put my finger on it. Plus I was unable to find any customer/reviews or really any information at all on it.

I purchased a CJ7 kit from GenRight, along with some additional tubing from them to extend in the places we needed to. The GenRight CJ7 kit is much more expensive than that $800 ebay kit, but it is high-quality and went together fairly easily. I'm not a welder, but a local Jeep shop in my area welded it together at a very reasonable price.

City
Lake Travis Hill Country
State
TX
Ok, for those asking, here are more pictures of the installed cage.

The A-Pillar is supported at the dash panel as well as at the floor.

The B-Pillar is bolted to the 'step' between the front portion of the cab and the bed area. This is where it would be on a CJ-7, so we couldn't use the existing hoop mount location for the CJ-8.

The new C-Pillar is mounted to the top of the wheel houses. These are just thru-bolted with nylon locking nuts on the bottom side.

And the new D-Pillar is mounted to where the rear of the original hoop was mounted.

So, I was left with some leftover holes, which will just be filled with bolts and bed-linered over.

And, the large hole in the dash on the driver side is where the tach was. I'll have to figure out what to do now... new customer dash plate, or something else. Not sure yet.
NewCage6_small.jpg NewCage7_small.jpg NewCage9_small.jpg NewCage10_small.jpg NewCage11_small.jpg NewCage12_small.jpg NewCage13_small.jpg NewCage14_small.jpg NewCage16_small.jpg NewCage17_small.jpg