• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New front drive shaft?

1crazy-jeeper

What's a scrambler?
I am trying to replace my front drive shaft with a new (used) one since my old one is completely shot.

Does any one know what size 12 sided socket I should get in order to remove the old one?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
5/16" 12 point socket on mine.

City
Houston
State
TX
And when the 12 points strip off, I cut the strap in half, then weld the bolt heads to the straps, and grab the strap peices with vice grips and unscrew. Then get the right ubolts, drill out the treads, and put it together right.

RJCJ-8

SOA Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rome
State
GA
I was thinking mine are 1/4 because I keep a 12 pnt wrench in my tool bag just for them.

scrambler jimmy

Junkyard Dog
City
City
State
ZZ
One more vote for 1/4" 12 pt. The dealership replacement (I used to work in a Mopar parts dept, so I got them cheap) is a 5/16" 6 pt bolt. I liked those much better - more beef there.

Glad I've gone to u-bolts instead - I've seen too many CJs spit those bolts out and lose the driveshaft.

Locktite the heck outta those bolts.