kgt0001

Jeep Restorer
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
San Antonio
State
TX
I would like to hear about drivability if anyone installs it.
Seems very straightforward install.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I like that you can upgrade to their distributor in the future and control timing too!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
How is this different from a Howell TBI kit? Higher fuel pressure and fits the factory air cleaner, which is nice, but non-emission compliant :shrug:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
It is good to see someone else getting in the game for our 258 motors but I do love the Howell for the ease of getting parts at any store being all GM components.

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I don't think the Howell is tunable is it? Using a factory computer you could burn new chips for it (if you can find someone to do it). But TBI is ancient fuel injection. The Holley EFI is self learning but IS also tunable. With the higher pressure and better injectors I'm sure the fuel atomizes much better too. My friend is actually getting this soon for his Camaro. I can definitely report back about it.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I'm not knocking the Holley system, just curious :shrug:

After looking at the instructions, it seems a different distributor is required to get this system to control ignition timing?
The LCD screen/ability to fine tune without burning a new chip is nice.
Factory air cleaner retention is nice.

My tan Jeep, with a 350, has TBI. I am using a stock GM computer, it works fine, self learns, etc. I never thought of trying to fine tune it any more, I would probably mess it up :rotfl: On this one, I have the GM TBI distributor, so the computer controls the timing. It has the knock sensor/ESCM to make that happen.

I have been working on a stock CJ7 with Howell TBI, it runs great, I just don't like being able to easily reuse the stock air cleaner housing :shrug: It uses the stock distributor/ignition system, so no integration there, but it runs great.

I'll have to see if my rich uncle Tommy will buy one of these Holley kits to install on one of his Jeeps :thumbsup:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I was reading the Holley Sniper forum some and it looks like it is a off road use item, just not sure it is street legal. Anyone else dig into that?

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
No C.A.R.B. number so its offroad. They may submit it for testing someday.

Same if you use a carburetor not specifically approved in some states. Utah law simply says you cant "tamper" if the resulting emissions dont meet spec. We go through sniffer annually so it would be fine. Missing cat is an "advise" no a fail and at 30 years you can tag vintage with no emissions.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Look at the FAST EZ-EFI too. Put it on my 77 Cherokee and absolutely love it.

On the dizzy, check compatibility. I initially wanted the 2.0 version of the FAST system that controls timing but they didn’t have an alternator that would work for the 360. Had to drop back to the new version of their original system. They have a setup specifically for CJs that bolts right on without an adapter.

The LCD screen is great to watch what’s going on and you can play with settings to your heart’s content it just leave it to learn after the initial setup and not touch it again if you want.

I did their external fuel pump kit and was really impressed with the quality of the components.

Their site is a little wonky, so bear with it:
https://www.fuelairspark.com/

I had a self-inflicted issue on install and their tech support guy was amazing working through it with me.

Drivability is simply fantastic and it’s great knowing it will start immediately on the first key turn every time. This has completely ruined me for carbs ever again.

Becarr21

Basic User
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Just got mine back from the shop with the Sniper EFI installed. So far (day three) I have zero complaints. Runs like a brand new car. Really glad I made the conversion. I was going to be on third carb.