• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New Member in Iowa

Rick R.

City
Crescent
State
IA
Been reading the forums here for quite some time and found the insight and resources invaluable for our project. Was looking for a project to get my son some hands on experience for restoring something from the ground up. A family friend mentioned an old Scrambler her Father had sitting in a barn and one thing led to another. There probably wasn't a worse candidate to restore and we never would have done it if it hadn't been for the learning aspect. After bringing it home 3 years ago it was actually roadworthy for the first time tonight. We still have final body and paint to do but the rig is pretty rust free now. Work has so far included a different frame, 26 replacement panels, brake system, fuel system, suspension, added power steering and brakes, new electrical and on and on. Special shout out to Mark at Classic Enterprises for their sheetmetal, fit was exceptional and quality top notch. Still need to add 3 point harnesses and some small odds and ends but we are in the homestretch...20210402_200134_001.jpg

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Welcome aboard! 26 patch panels is a heck of an undertaking. Add some more pictures if you can when you have time please!

Rick R.

City
Crescent
State
IA
Thanks! Will try and figure out how to post multiple photos going forward. The underside of the tub was so weak we couldn't use the rotisserie or it would fold. We ended up putting it on it's side and shimmed it square to install panels. We did those one at a time to make sure they were matching up to the originals. The only thing original on the bottom is the rear riser and a strip of the transmission tunnel. I was having trouble locating a frame so we took a nice CJ-7 frame and spliced 10 inches of the original frame up front and had rear frame metal stock bent to match for the 14 inches in back. Best lesson my son has learned so far is pull projects out of the Southwest!

Attachments

• 20200410_212510.jpg
    20200410_212510.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 21

Rick R.

City
Crescent
State
IA
Thanks! Will try and figure out how to post multiple photos going forward. The underside of the tub was so weak we couldn't use the rotisserie or it would fold. We ended up putting it on it's side and shimmed it square to install panels. We did those one at a time to make sure they were matching up to the originals. The only thing original on the bottom is the rear riser and a strip of the transmission tunnel. I was having trouble locating a frame so we took a nice CJ-7 frame and spliced 10 inches of the original frame up front and had rear frame metal stock bent to match for the 14 inches in back. Best lesson my son has learned so far is pull projects out of the Southwest!

Attachments

• 20210223_170924.jpg
    20210223_170924.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 17

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
That's nice work! Also nice to know you likely saved one that most of us wouldn't have!

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Very nice work. Tackling one in about the same condition as yours once was. Did you butt seam repair on the floor panels or overlap? Going the butt seam route myself...PIA. How was your frame or more likely lack of a frame?