• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

"New" Painless Harness 10150

TXJEEP

Legacy Registered User
City
Copper Canyon
State
TX
I have read through all of the posts about Painless wiring harnesses but I did not see any mention of the 10150 that appears to be the latest version. They claim to have addressed many of the previous problems but I was wondering if anyone has installed this version. Either way, I am in complete rebuild so I will post what I learn about as I can.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I’m not sure if that was the version I had, I did it about 4 years ago. Single best improvement to reliability on the jeep.

It came with a few twists and turns; but overall wasn’t bad.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
IIRC they used to sell an original type with OEM ground locations and a fully grounded version for fiberglass tubs. The 10150 shows "centrally grounded" and some heavier wire in places. May have just updated the fully grounded version and discontinue the OE style.

I used a Painless on a 65 Mustang 10+ years ago. Great quality and very straight forward except for one wire that they later updated the instructions to cover.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
Not sure about the 10150, I used their harness for my Scrambler resto in 2013. I had no complaints about their product and honestly don't know how you would do a restoration without one. There was a small amount of improvising due to the harness having to be compatible with a wide array of CJ configurations and options. I married mine to a 4.2l with Howell TBI and incorporated the TBI harness and changed the ignition type to a HEI. All of that change was still easy with the Painless harness.

jmarkel

Scrambled for Life
City
Fairfax Station
State
VA
Not sure about the 10150, I used their harness for my Scrambler resto in 2013. I had no complaints about their product and honestly don't know how you would do a restoration without one. There was a small amount of improvising due to the harness having to be compatible with a wide array of CJ configurations and options. I married mine to a 4.2l with Howell TBI and incorporated the TBI harness and changed the ignition type to a HEI. All of that change was still easy with the Painless harness.

53D, wondering if you could check your records to see which harness you might have used. Looks like you have a setup that is close to mine with the Howell TBI, although I do not have the HEI ignition as I did the Ford TFI and run an MSD box on it. I just took the rebuilt chassis out to the guys with my body to mate things up and I will be getting the jeep back in about 2-3 weeks. I'd like to order the correct harness so it's here when I get the jeep back.

As an aside, I never had any electrical issues with my jeep and do have the original harness (as intact as it can be) but since the rest of the jeep is basically new, i'd prefer to redo the whole harness. I'm also installing AC in it now as well. Thanks for any input!

JonathanJackson69

City
Boise
State
ID
I am working on my son's 1981 and will be installing the complete harness between now and Thanksgiving week, along with getting the newly rebuilt 4.2L engine re-installed and adding all new fuel components along with a Holley Sniper EFI carb. Lot's to do, but I was interested in peoples feelings on this wiring update. His original wiring had lots of opens and shorts, so we both felt that a complete re-do was necessary given the age.