• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New Radiator killed my battery!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Not really, but it seemed to happen at the same time.
It was strange, I drove it in Sunday morning, drained the radiator, got the radiator out, and then it sat until last night because I was waiting on some new mounting tabs/bolts as I broke 2 of them getting the radiator out.

I put the radiator in place and my daughter says I want to listen to music while she sits in the Jeep.
So, I go in, turn on the key for the radio... nothing... hit the horn... nothing.
I then put a meter on the battery... 6.5 volts.

I mean, I cranked it and drove it on Sunday and three days later it is dead as a doornail.
So... the radiator killed my battery!

Not true I know, but it is strange... I will put it on the charger tonight when I button up the radiator and then see if she fires tomorrow night.
I might have a drain, or the winter may have been too tough on it, but it is strange it that I pulled the radiator and the whole Jeep dies!

cb

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Is it possible you smashed some wires doing the radiator work and caused a short?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I thought of that as well... but as they say, anything is possible.
That said, I didn't see any fuses popped and no arcing.
I did move somethings around and tried to see if anything was touching or shorting out, but nothing yet.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
As I saw this, it reminded me of Dingo ate my baby... not sure why... amazing how the brain thinks first thing in the morning.

So, I put the battery on the charger and worked on the radiator some more getting it all buttoned down and hooked up.

Over the next 1/2 hour I started hearing what sounded like 2 mice going at it in my Tuffy center console... took out the baseball bat, opened it up and a CD spit out at me.
Odd... so I checked voltages again and that sound came back.

Turns out the ground wire for the sub was connected to the ground wire of the stereo and it rubbed... not wanting to 1/2 a$$ it, I did this...
IMG_4793.jpg

Might be a little hasty, but the charger then picked up, went to 12+ volts and then the next morning I started it up.

So, will take the time and wire it properly... definitely up there on the strange list of things... remove radiator, stereo has issues... total coincidence, but still, very odd.

Craig