• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New Scambler owner. Hello all!

Tron1611

City
Appling
State
GA
Hey,

Just paid, probably too much, off of Ebay for an 82 Scrambler. It was out in West Texas. Good news... zero rust and I think it is a Laredo? According to a few vids I've watched. Factory Tach and clock, leather grab bar and steering wheel. Looks like a factory AC unit that has no hoses run to it but the belt is still on it?) Is there any other way to tell? I paid 24K, don't tell the wife.. I told her 14K. I've wanted this Jeep for years and I had some extra money saved up so I rolled the dice.
s-l1600.jpg
Here is the info supplied to be by the previous owner. He is an older guy. He claimed it was his buddies who died and he is selling it for his widow. (Ya never know buying off Ebay).

QUOTE:
Freshly painted in the original Tan body and Copper top colors. (poorly painted with runs everywhere)

This beautiful rare jeep has the venerable 258 inline 6 cylinder. However, it is outfitted with a Howell Fuel injection system, Clifford 6=8 Manifold setup providing higher hp and bullitt proof performance in any off-roading situation. (she over-heated as I was unlaoding it from the car trailer. Leaking water from the water pump. Hoping that is all... anything I need to know about replacing a water pump on this engine?)

Current manual transmission is a 4 speed but an additional 5 speed will come with the jeep in case someone wanted to convert it. (he didn't include the 5 speed... The jeep has a 5 speed shift label on it knob. Assuming it had a 5 speed in it at some point?)

This jeep has factory power front disc brakes, tilt wheel power steering, Courtesy and map lights, Bucket seats, Factory roll bar and "Functioning" factory Tach and clock.! Even has a functional original factory under hood service light!

There has been a "substantial amount" of newly refreshed and or updated components and accessories with "ZERO" miles usage that include the following:

New EAG custom Heavy Duty front and Rear bumpers with D-rings and integrated fog lights (not wired up)

Total/complete front end rebuilt with all new moog front tie-rod ends, idler and pitman arms, sway bar bushings

New Rough Country front an rear leaf springs, Rough Country front and rear shocks, Rough Country steering stabilizer, Inside and Outside "Rough Country" front axles including inner and outer seals and new HD u-joints. (the front passenger axle is leaking fluid)

New "Brake Performance" Front "cross drilled slotted" disc rotors, performance calipers with semi-metallic pads. New rear semi-metallic brake shoes and all new brake line hoses.

New Lock Out hubs, New slotted off-road steel wheels, New 33" Federal Couragia RWL off-road tires

New front fenders with all new fender flares, side marker and front parking lenses.

New rear brake/running lights, New chrome diamond plate rear corner guards.

New radio antenna, inside and outside mirrors, interior door pulls.

Complete fresh original factory color paint in and out including top. Fresh rhino-lined truck bed.

Engine and engine bay freshened with all new fluids, filters, plugs, wires' distributor cap & rotor. (engine starts instantly and runs smooth and strong with no leaks!) Coolant system flushed and installed new thermostat. New oem radiator overflow and windshield wiper tanks/bottles with new windshield washer pump & rubber lines.

Transfer case and both front and rear differential fluids flushed and changed

END QUOTE:

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Welcome to the madness. You won't know what you have until you get to know her and she reveals her personality to you.

As long as the bones are good, the rest can be repaired, replaced or improved. Cost is kind of irrelevant because she's a far better/cooler rig than anything you'll get today and you're unlikely to ever spend what a new Rubicon would cost you.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Sounds like it could be a Laredo. Some of the guys on here can tell by the vin number how it was equipped.

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
Welcome, you found the best place for Scrambler enthusiasts.

To determine if it left Toledo as a Laredo package, will have to look at the tag on the firewall below the master cylinder. If the code for seats shows EJ, then it’s a Laredo. If it shows EB, it is likely a Renegade package. From the photos on eBay, looks like the wheels are chrome AM.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Welcome! Looks pretty nice from here!

Tron1611

City
Appling
State
GA
Welcome, you found the best place for Scrambler enthusiasts.

To determine if it left Toledo as a Laredo package, will have to look at the tag on the firewall below the master cylinder. If the code for seats shows EJ, then it’s a Laredo. If it shows EB, it is likely a Renegade package. From the photos on eBay, looks like the wheels are chrome AM.
Show EJ! Thanks for confirming that I have a Laredo.

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Jeep looks GREAT. If it was worth 24k to you, then you didn’t pay too much (smart move on the pricing discussion with the wife, btw). I paid 12,500 for mine 7 years ago and I can assure you I have 11,500.00 of my own personal labor in it! Welcome to the forum!

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Hey you aren't far off from the rest of us. I paid $2200 for mine and put $24,000 into it so pay now or pay during the build.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
True that Kane. I've got over $24,000 just in my drivetrain!

I agree, you did not over pay. That's a nice looking 8.

Last edited: