New to CJ8 Forum

DDTONKA

City
newport
State
RI
Hi all
New to this thread. I am working on my new 1983
CJ8 Scrambler and have questions time to time. I am adding a GPS speedometer, new custom steps, painting the green back to black and put the headers back on.
Here is what was done to the jeep before I bought it, no reason to start from scratch. It would have cost much more.

Wheels 15×8 Atlas. Tires (new) 36-12:50-15 Super swampers. Brakes 4 wheel disc. Axles Front Dana 44 w/4:56 gears and hy-steer arms. Rear superior one pc. With 4:56 gears and mechanical locker. Suspension Rubicon express 5 1/2″ lift. Shocks Bilstein 5100 series.

Frame Throttle Down Kustom, powder coated. Radiator Aluminum cross flow with black magic electric fan. Motor AMC 401 bored .030 over. Edelbrock intake, Holley 670 truck avenger, crane cam, Dual 2 1/2″ flowmaster mufflers. Trans. 727 tourq-flite with B&M kit, B&M shifter. Transfer case model 300. AGR power steering and pump. 21 gal.

Welded fuel tank. Body Four Wheel Drive Hardware fiberglass Tub, Fenders, Hood, Windshield frame. Factory hardtop, master craft seats. Tuffy security concile. Custom stainless steel dash with guages. Brakes dual diaphragm power. Painted viper yellow.
Screenshot_20190918-172057_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190918-171940_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190918-171926_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190918-170659_Gallery.jpg imagejpeg_0(3).jpg

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Real nice. How does the motor run? I have the same motor and transmission

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Welcome. I remember seeing that Jeep posted on this forum for sale this a few months back. Imo, good call on painting the green black again. Nice looking Jeep with alot of nice parts. Hopefully it was built correctly.

DDTONKA

City
newport
State
RI
Welcome. I remember seeing that Jeep posted on this forum for sale this a few months back. Imo, good call on painting the green black again. Nice looking Jeep with alot of nice parts. Hopefully it was built correctly.
I had everything looked over and there was a clunk when I let up off the gas which we found was a bad drive shaft. I had that repaired and everything seems fine.
There was something I found odd, the orginal owner took the headers off and put the original manifold back on. My son picked up the jeep so I was unable to ask why. After some research there was some back and fourths on which was best. I think I might leave the manifolds on.
Like my son said when he picked it up....it needs steps and handles!!

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Welcome! I remember seeing this too and I'm very glad to see it back on here in the hands of someone who will take care of the things you're planning to tackle. My first thought was that this just needed to go to the right person. :thumbsup:

DDTONKA

City
newport
State
RI
Welcome! I remember seeing this too and I'm very glad to see it back on here in the hands of someone who will take care of the things you're planning to tackle. My first thought was that this just needed to go to the right person. :thumbsup:
I think the original owner Dennis did a great job on the build. There are just a few things I want to do but right now its more personal cosmetics. I have to wait for a while as the Jeep is in Iowa at my sons body shop and I live in Rhode Island. I will head back and see what else needs to be done and have it hauled to Rhode Island in the spring. Hope to be doing some off road in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I think the original owner Dennis did a great job on the build. There are just a few things I want to do but right now its more personal cosmetics. I have to wait for a while as the Jeep is in Iowa at my sons body shop and I live in Rhode Island. I will head back and see what else needs to be done and have it hauled to Rhode Island in the spring. Hope to be doing some off road in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
Exactly. Great Jeep just needing some small stuff. :cheers:

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Regarding headers vs manifolds....long tube headers likely would make a difference at the track, but the manifolds are pretty good, a lot less maintenance, etc. I run the edelbrock shorty headers which are now obsolete thru edelbrock, but petronix is marketing them as Patriot headers. They should be a direct fit or close for the stock manifolds. Not sure being a shorty they do much for performance, but they do crack and leak!....I would stick with manifolds over the shorties.

Looks like a great Jeep!

DDTONKA

City
newport
State
RI
Scott
You have pretty much confirmed everything I have read. I believe I am going to stay with with the manifold.
Thanks allot for the information.
Thanks
Doug

DDTONKA

City
newport
State
RI
Thank you...it is up and running and ready to go. I allready got the driveshaft fixed and that is it, i am ready to play. My son owns a body shop and he is going to clean it up.
I am going to need to find some local clubs here in RI or New Hampshire...or Connecticut.

Last edited: