New to CJ8

Jwalk

City
Mountlaurel
State
NJ
Hi everyone,
Been a long time Jeeper but never had any experience with the cj8. 1st Jeep was a 95’ YJ Rio Grande. Swapped to a 2006 TJ, ended up getting an 82’ CJ7, then because of Kids I’m now in a JK. Kids are old enough now that I want to jump back into the classics and pick up a scrambler sometime in the next year or so when I find the right one. I’ll probabbly end up throwing a full hard top on it and family style cage. Anyone know how much room is left for a dog if you install a bestop highback rear seat?

Anyway thanks everyone for the great forum lots of great info...glad I stumbled of the site.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Welcome! :cheers:

Pretty much everything you learned with your CJ7 will apply to the CJ8.

I've got mine set up as a pickup, so I can't answer your back seat question, but there are plenty here who can.

Have fun!

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Welcome. You are not to far from me so most local CJ8 that are lower priced will have rust. Not knowing your budget its tough to suggest ones. Are you looking for stock or modified? Under $10,000, $10-20,000, or over $20,000. Under 10k local you will have rust unless you get very lucky and respond fast to ads.

I had mine shipped in from Washington without laying eyes on it. It was listed on this forum. Some things were not as expected but it was rust free basically, completely compared to similar priced ones from this area.

There are a few nice ones listed on the forum here. The one linked above sounds very nice if its in your price range. I think shipping from Washington to just outside of Philly was $1300.

There is a yellow one on craigslist in the area, I talked to somebody who said it was horribly rusted and don't waste your time for the price. Several others under 5k on craigslist that need lots of rust repair, you would be better off money and time wise shipping one in than buying one of those because of how bad the frames and bodys appear in the ads. There is a nice looking fiberglass body one in my area that I believe I sold to the current owner years ago that had a great frame but almost beyond fixable body.

Last edited:

jak inc

I H8 SALT!
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Merton
State
WI
If you bolt your rear seat in the stock location, you should end up with about 3 feet of cargo area between the seat and tailgate. Please don't quote me though because I don't have the scrambler in front of me.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I have a normal fold and tumble in the stock location and had the pooch in the back with all kinds of room to spare. Even a larger dog would be fine I would think.

Welcome to the site and good luck in your search.

scramfan1

City
Cambridge
State
Il
I have a normal fold and tumble in the stock location and had the pooch in the back with all kinds of room to spare. Even a larger dog would be fine I would think.

Welcome to the site and good luck in your search.
Hi BigWalton. I saw you mentioned stock location for a rear seat in a Scrambler. Was a rear seat an option in a factory Scrambler? Also will any CJ7 rear seat fit between the tubs?

City
Mears
State
Mi
Hi BigWalton. I saw you mentioned stock location for a rear seat in a Scrambler. Was a rear seat an option in a factory Scrambler? Also will any CJ7 rear seat fit between the tubs?
My opinion if you use the stock bolt holes in the CJ8 you will have to remove the bulkhead. I moved the rear seat back so that the front bolts were over the back holes and then took to pieces of flat stock and bolted them together with the bed and spacers between and bolted the seat to that. I did that front and back (I have a 22 gallon gas tank so I had to drop it to put the back together), the back also had to be drilled through the bed. I now have enough room for two adults in the back and still have my bulkhead in place plus 2 feet or so behind. CJ or YJ fold & tumble will work with minor fabrication for bolt holes. I put the back seat backwards in my 81 and people love riding backwards on the sand dunes they say its like being on a rollercoaster.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
There are holes with captured nuts for the front mounts and the center seat belt mount. I’m not a home to crawl under to look but I thought it was all four holes for a stock fold and tumble CJ seat. The wheel wheels are the same width as a -7 so those seats work. IIRC I just had to drill for the “catches” on the insides of the wheel wells.

Some people mount the seats further back for more legroom, that’s why I mentioned the “stock” location. I don’t believe it was ever a factory option. This location definitely requires bulkhead removal.

Catdaddy4

City
Midland
State
TX
Welcome. You are not to far from me so most local CJ8 that are lower priced will have rust. Not knowing your budget its tough to suggest ones. Are you looking for stock or modified? Under $10,000, $10-20,000, or over $20,000. Under 10k local you will have rust unless you get very lucky and respond fast to ads.

I had mine shipped in from Washington without laying eyes on it. It was listed on this forum. Some things were not as expected but it was rust free basically, completely compared to similar priced ones from this area.

There are a few nice ones listed on the forum here. The one linked above sounds very nice if its in your price range. I think shipping from Washington to just outside of Philly was $1300.

There is a yellow one on craigslist in the area, I talked to somebody who said it was horribly rusted and don't waste your time for the price. Several others under 5k on craigslist that need lots of rust repair, you would be better off money and time wise shipping one in than buying one of those because of how bad the frames and bodys appear in the ads. There is a nice looking fiberglass body one in my area that I believe I sold to the current owner years ago that had a great frame but almost beyond fixable body.

Barry’s,
I am new to the forum. Saw your post about costs of scramblers. I have a 1983 scrambler that I have owned for about 10 years. I have mostly used it as a hunting vehicle. But now am considering restoring it. If I do not restore it I might possibly sell it as i use an atv when hunting now. According to the vehicle serial number it is a 258 cu. in. 6 cylinder and appears to be the original engine and has a 5 speed transmission in it. It still runs very well. The right rear corner panel has a dent in and would need to be prepared. It has most of the original equipment on it. The speedometer mileage shows 63,000 and still works and I do not know if it has flipped or if original it is original mileage. The owner before me painted the jeep green over the original red paint and not really a very good paint job. There is very little rust on it and the bed and floorboard were rhinoed and painted. Anyway if I were to sell it do you any idea what it would be worth?
Thanks

> Thanks,

Last edited:

Catdaddy4

City
Midland
State
TX

Barry’s,
I am new to the forum. Saw your post about costs of scramblers. I have a 1983 scrambler that I have owned for about 10 years. I have mostly used it as a hunting vehicle. But now am considering restoring it. If I do not restore it I might possibly sell it as i use an atv when hunting now. According to the vehicle serial number it is a 258 cu. in. 6 cylinder and appears to be the original engine and has a 5 speed transmission in it. It still runs very well. The right rear corner panel has a dent in and would need to be prepared. It has most of the original equipment on it. The speedometer mileage shows 63,000 and still works and I do not know if it has flipped or if original it is original mileage. The owner before me painted the jeep green over the original red paint and not really a very good paint job. There is very little rust on it and the bed and floorboard were rhinoed and painted. Anyway if I were to sell it do you any idea what it would be worth?
Thanks