New to me 83 CJ8 Laredo!!

bryrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Tenafly
State
NJ
Hi guys.. I've been lurking for about... quite a few years.. always a huge fan.. but now I can officially say I am the proud owner. I found this jeep on craigslist in the middle of Camp Wood Texas. It's in great shape mostly all original with even original paint. The owner told me it runs but had no battery and needed a new carb.
I put a battery in and got it to turn over. I don't believe it's getting any spark.. anyway I'm very excited and looking forward to learning more about it.
Please if ya get a chance to take a look and let me know what ya think? Much appreciated!
Bry

Attachments

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Looks dry but weathered. certainly seen its years with no doors on. here is to getting it running soon!

(y)

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Looks like a good start! Do I see cruise control on it? Did it come with doors or are they gone?

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Nice find. It still has the (my favorite) Laredo wheels. The Laredo Scrambler is the best one to find, and this one has the more expensive options with the AC and auto. Definitely worth restoring. It would be nice to see how well the paint would polish up. If you freshen up the interior, polish the outside, get it running again, and find the missing parts, you would have a survivor with a new interior . . . very desirable.

bryrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Tenafly
State
NJ
Thanks guys. Not sure if it has cruise.. I'll check. I plan to just clean it up: yep Polish and restore the paint as much as possible. No doors! So find some doors. I'd want to find the doors to match so will probably go soft doors till then. Need Seats and I want the brown Laredo seats. Not sure if I want to put bed liner throughout. There is only one rust hole in the back by the drivers side row bar mount about 2 nickel size and one rust hole on drivers side above rocker. The 3 tires are dry rotted and won't hold air..
It needs some TLC but it's a great start.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Start looking for some hard doors. They can be from the later CJ7s with the paddle handles, or from the YJ Wranglers from 87 to 95. They all fit your Scrambler and will fit better than soft doors.

City
Llano
State
TX
Hi guys.. I've been lurking for about... quite a few years.. always a huge fan.. but now I can officially say I am the proud owner. I found this jeep on craigslist in the middle of Camp Wood Texas. It's in great shape mostly all original with even original paint. The owner told me it runs but had no battery and needed a new carb.
I put a battery in and got it to turn over. I don't believe it's getting any spark.. anyway I'm very excited and looking forward to learning more about it.
Please if ya get a chance to take a look and let me know what ya think? Much appreciated!
Bry
Beautiful! I saw that one listed for sale and it certainly peaked my interest! Best wishes!

bryrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Tenafly
State
NJ
Thats great to know how many doors can fit. And yeah I was thinking the same thing about the bed liner... It's just the bed liner would seal it..

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Does it have a salvage title like some of the people around here thought?

Looks like a good start for a driver or restoration candidate. Doors should be easy to find.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Excellent find! Congrats and welcome (fully) to the sickness :cheers:

I'd think twice about putting bedliner on it.
Agree with this, whatever folks think about bedliner in Jeeps, I believe that once the paint is worn/weathered and has condition issues, you’ll never be able to prep it 100% properly for bedliner and will bring more trouble on yourself down the line. Just my :twocents:

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I'd think twice about putting bedliner on it. Just my :twocents:
100% agree.

With bedliner (and with powder coating), all it takes is one small failure point and it will allow the rust cancer to start, by the time you realize you have a problem, huge sheets of the coating will start peeling off. Both have their place and purpose, but not on a "classic" vehicle that you are trying to preserve.

If it is truly a throw away ranch vehicle that you don't want to keep alive for an extended period of time, it is great.

bryrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Tenafly
State
NJ
Yes it does have a rebuilt salvage, Lost unknown. Title. The owner told me that when they ordered a new title they sent that.. he had no Idea why?
I guess I'll put in the vin for a title history. Listen guys.. we worked out a very fair price that i couldn't pass up. It's the exact jeep I have been looking for! Great Potential. I'm attaching some pictures of the bed after sanding surface rust and spraying some primer.

Attachments