New to me 84' Scrambler

City
Raleigh
State
NC
To follow up on a thread I posted in another section, it looks like I'm going to look at this Scrambler on Sunday, with the intention of purchasing. I have basic mechanical/engine knowledge, but have been out the Jeep game for almost 10 years. After I get this beauty home, what are the first things you guys would check for needing service?

A little background about my mechanical "knowledge"... Owned and build a 99tj in college and sold it in 09'. Swapped an 8.8 and did a 4 link from scratch. I kind of did everything half ass'd back then and I want to do the right thing with this jeep, as it will be mine for what I hope for a long time. Thank you all for the input and advice.

Attachments

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
It may have been mentioned in the other thread, but basically start replacing all fluids. Never assume that a PO has done it recently or that there are enough fluids to start with - engine, transmission, differential housing, blinker fluids, all of them. Learn what fluids you want to use, and how much - write them down somewhere so you don't have to look it up next time.

Next, look at all the moving parts for wear and proper lubrication. Lift the Jeep up front, wiggle the wheels and see what happens. Look at all the steering components, the leaf springs, the drive shafts, etc.

Drive it around for a good while to see if there are any issues with smoke, stalling, weird noises, misses, etc. How does it shift, smoothly? Does it pop out of gear at all?

Some very common things that need addressing - the rear main seal might leak, along with the valve cover +/- oil pan gaskets. Those are a few good spots to learn your way around a Jeep engine and probably just as importantly to make mistakes so you never make them again. A popular starting job is what is sometimes called a "Team Rush" upgrade. It's basically replacing some ignition components so that you can get a more reliable start. Another is a headlight relay upgrade - a way to boost your headlight performance and learn a bit about electrical improvements. Might want to ask if either has been done already.

Check all of the gauges - is the speedo correct? Does the gas gauge read correct? Does the engine temp gauge move? Does the voltmeter sit about in the middle - 13-14 or so? Does the oil pressure gauge start high (40ish) and then settle down to 10-20?

Next is deciding what you want to do with it - daily driver, rock crawler, return to original state. Never sell anything off until you're absolutely sure you won't need it. Then wait a couple months more. Hang out here and follow some threads to help you plan.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Any updates to this original post? What have you done with it?

City
Raleigh
State
NC
Almost 1 year into owning my 8, and needless to say, it's been a "learning experience". After getting her home last July, I replaced all fluids and just drove her. Around October, stripped the interior and added Durabak. After completing that, I threw in a set of Corbeau seats. Shortly after purchasing the Jeep, I noticed it was missing 2 rear body mounts bc the PO decided to cut off the rear crossmember and weld a bumper directly to the frame. I picked up a crossmember from CHIEFWAHO and took my jeep to a buddy that's a chassis fabricator for a NASCAR team to help me with the welding. Added replacement body mounts shortly there after. I have a 1" kit sitting in the garage I need to install at some point. I replaced the throwout bearing later that month, and in December, the water pump went out. After finally getting her running the way I want, we started on the fun stuff..... the drivetrain.

I picked up a dana 44 from a guy in Virginia, and worked with ECGS to get the gearing & ARB's setup for install. Replaced the drums with disc's and added 35 spline chromoly's the the rear. Gearing was done to 4:56. For the front, we added another ARB and chromoly's and upgraded all of the u-joints. Ultimately, I want to run 36's, so I decided to install the dual compressor, instead of the single stage one. Also completed a break system upgrade and got rid of the old breaks and added a MBM Power Break Unit.

I replaced the original hubs with a set of MileMarker ones.

Shortly after finishing the drivetrain, I picked up a supertop from Bestop. Very and straightforward install(now I need windows that work with my top). Added a Warn xd9000 and upgraded my front bumper to a Warn as well.

Replaced the factory shackles with 3/4" ones from Daystar.

Not having a spare tire, my buddy and I came up with a design for a tire carrier that worked with a bumper I had. I'll post those pics in a later post.

That's it for now. This fall, I'm going to do a SOA with stock YJ springs and add high steer to get ready for 36's.

Attachments