tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Way off jeep topic; but I knew there were lots of knowledge on this board for this too. I am the ecstatic recipient (gift) of a Glock 43. I am sure it has been well cared for, I got it from a serious enthusiast, wanting to pass along his passion for handguns. This is my first. Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Starting point? I will need a good access safe to keep the kids from it.

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Glocks are great utility hand guns: very serviceable, stand abuse well, and are easy to clean. While my Glock is not my favorite of my handguns (largely due to my particular models size-Glock 22) it is a great and functional tool. Glocks have no external safety but I am told by my police officer friends who carry them daily not to worry about that due to the effectiveness of the internal safety. But because of their design I always carry mine in a holster that completely covers the trigger. My particular holster is a Blackhawk and it is very effective and safe. On the whole they are a great tool for the intended purpose of a gun and mine is in my backpack everywhere I go. It's the gun I don't worry about using and abusing and fires every time I tell it to and eats all the ammunition I feed it regardless of quality! Be safe and have fun!

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I have a 42 but wish that the 43 had been available at the time. I carry my 42 all the time.

Sent from my SM-G920V

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
The 42 is .380 and the 43 is 9mm. Obviously the 9mm is WAY cheaper to shoot to develop the muscle memory. ;)

Sent from my SM-G920V

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
You won't hear many people talking bad about a Glock. I own about a dozen 9's and 380's but I don't know why I don't own a Glock. Maybe the next one. In fact I just put a 9mm Taurus in Stump Jumper. Now if I could just figure out how to mount the PS-90.

Attachments

Last edited:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I just bought the Glock 43 about a month ago as my daily CCW. So far I love it. Much lighter then my Colt Defender .45 (which I will probably switch back to in winter). Easy to carry with lightweight shorts. I'd suggest picking up some Double Tap lube/cleaner from our very own member/forum retailer Dustin. Just look for the banner ad at the top of the forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A

FF1115

Basic User
City
Clio
State
SC
A good pocket holster that is of minimal thickness can be had from Alabama holster company. Also, be sure and check the sights. Mine were way off from the factory.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Double tap is good stuff, got my first bottle free right here on this forum.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Another vote for Double Tap. Great stuff.

Glocks are great guns, I'm a HK guy myself but I have respect for Glocks. Reliable and durable. Be careful reholstering, especially when carrying concealed. Make sure there's no shirt tail or anything that can hang up the trigger when you're seating it in the holster.

My Daily carry is a P2000SK in 9MM- 10+1 with the shorty mag or 13+1 with a 1/2" longer mag. palm sized. With night sights.

IMG_2895 retouch.jpg

Federal 124GR HST LE is about the best ammo going for a short 9MM.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO

Glocks are great guns, I'm a HK guy myself but I have respect for Glocks. Reliable and durable. Be careful reholstering, especially when carrying concealed. Make sure there's no shirt tail or anything that can hang up the trigger when you're seating it in the holster.

My Daily carry is a P2000SK in 9MM- 10+1 with the shorty mag or 13+1 with a 1/2" longer mag. palm sized. With night sights.

View attachment 54953

I'd love to go with a HK but the cost is what attracted me to the Glock. I'm eligible for the law enforcement pricing from Glock which is nice. This is my first Glock but so far I'm impressed.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS

View attachment 54953

That HK looks sweet! Surprise you can get 11 in it. Must be a hair thicker?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
My advice on the Glock- buy another that's full size, and train with both of them. You will find the full size is more fun to shoot, and therefore you'll shoot it more. And buy lots of ammo. Blazer Brass is decent training ammo, and can be had for $10/box at Palmetto State Armory, Aim Surplus, Primary Arms, etc. Get some of the Federal 124G HST LE ammo for carry. Best load for a short barrel. Hydra Shock is second.

The HK is a double stack. It is a bit thicker than the Glock, 1.37" vs 1.02". I wanted the higher capacity, and with my big hands the HK is just big enough to get a good grip on. HK has several modes, DAO, LEM (feels like a striker but is still a hammer gun), and DA/SA. Since I grew up and learned on 1911's and Browning High Powers, the DA/SA mode appealed to me. I also like the lever style mag release, takes some training but pretty much eliminates unintended mag drops. I carry the HK daily, with a nice leather IWB holster I don't even know it's there. Shorts and a T-shirt- no problem. With a flat floorplate on the 10RD mag it conceals best, but with the 13rd mag and extension it feels best. This was my first HK, I liked it so much that I sold my Sig's and now have several...

HK Mag sizes
IMG_3049 retouch.jpg

Last edited:

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
Way off jeep topic; but I knew there were lots of knowledge on this board for this too. I am the ecstatic recipient (gift) of a Glock 43. I am sure it has been well cared for, I got it from a serious enthusiast, wanting to pass along his passion for handguns. This is my first. Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Starting point? I will need a good access safe to keep the kids from it.

congrats on the 43! great gun! have fun shooting paper. might want to look into upgrading
the sights. Trijicon HD night sights with the orange (IMO) are great! little pricey but worth it.
you can pick that front sight up with no problems... oh and maybe a ghost trigger kit... thats
if you have good disciplines and gun safety habits... 3.5lbs pulls like breaking glass... but most people
like a heavy trigger for concealing... using a holster and practicing will save you a visit to the E.D....

https://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-Night-Sight-Set-Glock/dp/B00KHXRZGM
http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_42-43_2424_V_1/G42G43-EDGE-CONNECTOR.html

7jeeps7kings

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Thatcher
State
AZ
I have a 42 but wish that the 43 had been available at the time. I carry my 42 all the time.

Sent from my SM-G920V
X2,

I bought and carry a 42 all the time but would prefer the 43 had it been available at the time. I have been thinking about giving my 42 to my wife and get the 43... you know, keeping it in the family!

But all in all, can't go wrong with a Glock, and they are easier to get than book... according to media.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Went by Bass Pro on the way home, to window shop its big brother. Bit harder to do, they had pulled all the 43s until a big sale on Aug 12. $499