New Traction trick (wheelin tip)

City
Snohomish
State
WA
Today I found myself hunting for "the line" on a dry slab of granite, my tires were down to 4 lbs and I was idling in 1st gear turning the wheel side to side hunting for traction, but I was having axle wrap issues (actually Tire-Wrapping issues, 4 lbs 42" Iroks), not horribly bad but bad enough to make my traction seeking more difficult, so I applied the brakes lightly (has to be lightly my brakes are crap) and low and behold my wrapping ceased, I found traction and made it up the Rock Face.

Over all it was a very good day wheeling today in the Pacific NW.

:D

Last edited:

Stouttrout

Registered Jeep Nut
City
Sour Lake
State
Tx
You can also do that in a vehicle with out lokers and it will help. Never as good as having lockers but it will help the loose free spinner quite spinning.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Stouttrout said:
You can also do that in a vehicle with out lokers and it will help. Never as good as having lockers but it will help the loose free spinner quite spinning.
I did this all the time before I had lockers after someone told me about it. VERY helpful to know, even for DDs in bad weather...

okjeep

Basic User
City
Tulsa
State
OK
We call that torque loading for those with automatics. it allows the torque converter to start multiplying the torque as well. There are lots of times someone will tell me my brake lights came on while rock crawling thinking I have a short somewhere. It's all in trying to get the power to the ground. even with 4:1 it's necessary to get the rpm's up and not move very quickly.

City
Snohomish
State
WA
Yeah I've seen that before, this was different though, I was idling, tires started wrapping, a little brake pedal stopped the porpoising then I got my traction. Wish I had a video.

Oh and I don't have an automatic, thats why I thought it was such a groovy move :)