• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Newly installed Supertop

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
So I got a new Bestop Supertop installed on my 8 today. I am liking the look, but dang are there a lot of zippers.

I also got a set of Bestop two piece soft doors to go with the top. I spent WAY too much time working on the dang doors and still don't have them working properly. Anyone have any tips on adjustment?

20181110_175203.jpg

Attachments

• 20181110_175218.jpg
    20181110_175218.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 32

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
When I went from 1 piece soft doors to 1/2 steel w/soft uppers there was a pretty good difference in fit. The upper windows were not seating behind the windshield correctly. There was a large gap. That is when I found out you can adjust the actual windshield forward or backwards and you might need to bend the frame of the doors in or out for adjustment alignment fit also

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
I'm running fiberglass half doors with the Bestop uppers. I did lots of bending/ tweaking on the uppers to get them to "fit". I did brace my windshield to the cage to get it to stay where I wanted it. But I blame the fiberglass tub more than anything else. After all the messing around with the uppers they fit pretty well. My only complaint is how tight they fit against the windshield frame, it makes the doors close pretty hard.

Good luck, have patients :fingerscrossed:

The best fit for the uppers is in the back of the Jeep. Half doors are awesome when the uppers are off :woot::woot:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
My only complaint is how tight they fit against the windshield frame, it makes the doors close pretty hard.

That was also one of my biggest problems also. Adjust the 2 plates bolted at the bottom of the windshield that bolt to the dash. There is a lot of adjustment there and I had to take my top on and off maybe 5 times to get just the right angle of the windshield just right for it to fit just right

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I received three sets of the two-piece doors (initial order and two sets of warranty replacements) and never got a combination that would 1) seal correctly and 2) come apart with anything less than a crowbar. Seriously.

So I ended up with a set of one-piece two-piece doors (they're two pieces, but you can't separate them by hand) that seal somewhat ok.

I sent back the first set because the two halves were so far off that you couldn't get them together without cutting off a couple of the mounting pins/tubes and rewelding them. At Quadratec's suggestion, I kept the second set when they sent the third set to see if I could make a set that would work from the various pieces. I managed to get an upper and lower together for each side, but I can't separate either side because I had to literally hammer them together (and that's the best-fitting combo from the two sets I have).

Truly disappointing.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I guess since mine were originals from a YJ that may be why I ended up pretty satisfied. Mine were also from 2 sets also though. Bought the steel half doors from an ad on CL then about a year and a half later found the uppers from someone else on CL

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I received three sets of the two-piece doors (initial order and two sets of warranty replacements) and never got a combination that would 1) seal correctly and 2) come apart with anything less than a crowbar. Seriously.

So I ended up with a set of one-piece two-piece doors (they're two pieces, but you can't separate them by hand) that seal somewhat ok.

I sent back the first set because the two halves were so far off that you couldn't get them together without cutting off a couple of the mounting pins/tubes and rewelding them. At Quadratec's suggestion, I kept the second set when they sent the third set to see if I could make a set that would work from the various pieces. I managed to get an upper and lower together for each side, but I can't separate either side because I had to literally hammer them together (and that's the best-fitting combo from the two sets I have).

Truly disappointing.

Yup, for the amount of money they get for those doors, they are not made very well. I have had to beat everything into submission thus far.

I am going to spend some time working on them some more, but I might just have to go the route of getting some replacements.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Nice top! May I know how much and where did you order yours?

I did some comparison shopping around the web and ended up buying the top and doors from Quadratec. The combo for the top and two piece doors was $1,366.00. The top came in one box and the doors in another. Took about 3 business days to get.

If you don't want the doors, 4WD has the top for a little cheaper. They don't sell the two piece doors though.

I still need to adjust everything, but I am fairly happy with everything. It has been raining cats and dogs in Georgia right now and I found a pretty big design flaw with the soft doors. They have made a nice little map pocket at the bottom of the doors that, unfortunately, are water tight and hold at least 3 inches of water in them, at least in my experience. I might need to install some grommets in bottom of the pockets so they don't hold so much water in them.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I think quadratec will price match 4WD whateverthe chain is called.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Wow. I must have gotten lucky with my 2 piece soft doors. I got them used but the only adjustments I really had to do was to adjust the set screws on the pins for the upper section so that the frame of the upper got a pretty good fit. Since I now have the half cab on in the winter, the 2 piece doors won't fit due to the difference in the curve contour. So I only run the full soft (2 piece) in the summer with either my soft half top or my bikini so no real fitment issues there. A lot of adjustment was needed for my YJ hard half doors and TJ uppers. once I got the doors themselves set, they fit like a glove.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Wow. I must have gotten lucky with my 2 piece soft doors. I got them used but the only adjustments I really had to do was to adjust the set screws on the pins for the upper section so that the frame of the upper got a pretty good fit. Since I now have the half cab on in the winter, the 2 piece doors won't fit due to the difference in the curve contour. So I only run the full soft (2 piece) in the summer with either my soft half top or my bikini so no real fitment issues there. A lot of adjustment was needed for my YJ hard half doors and TJ uppers. once I got the doors themselves set, they fit like a glove.

The quality of the manufacturing is really the problem. I think the older stuff had much better quality control.

I actually pulled the soft doors off this weekend and put my hard doors back on. I had to readjust the windshield frame and drill out some new holes for some brackets so the doors would fit. Then I had to bend the soft top frame into position to seal up against the doors.

I am happy with the current fitment. I think it will work out pretty good right now. I can take my time to work on the soft doors over the winter and get them ready for the spring.

Now on to mounting the Bestop Trailmax II fold and tumble seat and rear seat belts.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I ended up buying used YJ factory doors and then I bought a rotary latch handle so it can shut on the stock hard door latch. I then sprayed them with Vinyl paint. They fit really well with very little adjustment needed.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I used the old Tiger top on my Scrambler and to put the hard doors on I swap the brackets from side to side, that moved every thing in just enough to clear the doors. I don't if the super top uses the same brackets around the door.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Random question. Installing mine now and on what side of the cross bar over the door does the pad go?

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
The pad is on top of the bar to keep the top from rubbing on the mounting hardware.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
So between the bar and outside flap that comes under and back up to Velcro.
ADF778C7-4C0D-4502-BF36-D435D30207B9.jpeg

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I am pretty sure I have mine run just like yours now. I thought that pad would go on the outside of the bar so there would be some meat where the doors come in to create a seal.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I am pretty sure I have mine run just like yours now. I thought that pad would go on the outside of the bar so there would be some meat where the doors come in to create a seal.

That's what I thought too but wanted to check. Thanks!

jamesmadconductor

City
Greensboro
State
NC
I'm curious if anyone has thoughts/experience with the bestop fitment with original hard doors. Mine has no top right now, and I really do need to get that taken care of, but want to make sure that I can just use the doors I already have. Any thoughts or advice will be really appreciated.

-James-