Newly Purchased 1982 CJ-8 Laredo Project

City
Canton
State
GA
Hello all! I have purchased a 1982 Scrambler Laredo that I plan to completely tear apart and rebuild. This is a project for my son and I while he is in high school. This appears to be completely original, with a top and tailgate missing. I have access to a good body and frame, which this will need. I'm open to any and all advice, especially anything general that would be applicable in the early stages of this project. Thanks!!

Attachments

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Welcome.
I have not taken on a project like you are but everything I have heard and read.....figure out your estimated budget and then add alot more on to it. Good luck and enjoy the time with your son!

City
Canton
State
GA
I’ve built cars for years, so the cost is very familiar to me. This is my first Jeep. I’ll be rebuilding the entire drivetrain myself, aside from reconditioning work on the stripped block, head, and transmission and transfer cases. The frame is being replaced, as is the body tub. I’ll be building it all original, with the exception of some 80’s era bolt ons, such as a mild lift, and lighting.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I never cease to be amazed at the level of patience it takes to deal with rust like that. Hats off to you for your dedication! I'll have to admit, I'm blessed (And a bit lazy) that I have never had to deal with much if any rust. I lived in Utah for a while where they salted the roads and I saw my share of swiss cheese...but I searched out Jeeps that were rust-free. Although even on the rust free ones I end up replacing every fastener...

City
Canton
State
GA
I never cease to be amazed at the level of patience it takes to deal with rust like that. Hats off to you for your dedication! I'll have to admit, I'm blessed (And a bit lazy) that I have never had to deal with much if any rust. I lived in Utah for a while where they salted the roads and I saw my share of swiss cheese...but I searched out Jeeps that were rust-free. Although even on the rust free ones I end up replacing every fastener...
I knew from the beginning of my hunt I wanted to do a frame off restoration, so intended to buy a new aftermarket frame before I even found the Jeep. The new tub wasn't a surprise though. Otherwise, I have an all original working drivetrain, and the Scrambler Laredo that I was after!