• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Next modification should be A/C

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
OK I'm going soft. 110 and 50% humidity is just getting too hard to take anymore. I am considering installing AC into my '83. Which new systems would you recommend?

Also, I have a lot of heat coming in through the firewall and under the seats. Exhaust system I believe is the cause. I was planning on using exhaust wrap to help keep the heat down as I have already put jute with foil backing under my floor mat. I also have installed heat shields between the floor and the cat and exhaust pipes. Without doing something more to reduce the heat coming into the cab, what good is installing A/C going to be? Any thing else that can be done?

Gary R

Legacy Registered User
City
Arlington
State
TX
Collins Brothers

In Wylie, TX. Yes, they seem high on a lot of stuff....but I was there last week and let me tell you, it is a heavenly place for Jeep parts. I've never seen so much stuff in my life.

The fella in front of me in line was buying a brand-new OEM system. The company that originally made them for Jeep was actually here in Fort Worth, TX. They went out of business not long ago, and CB bought out all their remaining stock. The sales guy told me that it was $999 for everything, from the under-dash vents all the way to the engine stuff.

Sounded like a pretty fair deal to me. You could cobble something together with used stuff for much less I am guessing, but for a few hundred more, everything would be brand-new.

Just my 2-cents....I don't have an A/C system to go back into my frame up restoration yet....but, it is going to be 106-degrees here tomorrow. If I were up and running, the $999 would be something I'd save my pennies for...in a heartbeat!

Take care,

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
In your restoration how are you addressing the heat issues? Several things come to my mind if I were to do a restoration to my rig:
1. route the exhaust a different path so it does not come under the drivers seat area.
2. eliminate the catalitic converter; its nothing more than a heat box.
3. add Hushmat to the firewall.

Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave
City
Albany
State
or
999?

Went to Collins brothers web site, and they where still listing 1200$,I wonder if the 999$ was just a sale price. I guess I need to call them. And yes, My cat convereter is an empty shell (hollow) and I dont have much of a heat issue

Gary R

Legacy Registered User
City
Arlington
State
TX
Call CB

Call them for sure. I was only in there last week and the two sales guys up front both said $999.

We had a 5-minute discussion on the entire setup.