• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

No more pink!

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
I bought my Scrambler a few months ago from southern CA where it spent all its life. The previous owner didn't know for sure how old this repaint was. It's heavily oxidized single stage paint. It's been over polished, and in some places into the primer (hood).

I used this article to bring back a lot of the red color; https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...w-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html
It's a really long article, but the gist of it is that your enriching the paint and polishing it with virtually no abrasive.

I was able to bring back a lot of the red color to be more of a satin red finish. When I got the Jeep it was a very flat, mostly pink color. I hesitate to do any actual abrasive polishing to it for fear of going into the primer as had already been done on the hood. I'd love for it to be glossy but I think I'll have to settle for the satin red. I can always have it painted down the road if it bothers me. The paint still has chips and cracks in it. My dilemma now is having some touch up paint mixed up in the satin red color. I'll try to search out an automotive paint supplier in the area to take a look at it.

Here's some before pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
FWIW the windshield tie down hoops on the hood are installed incorrectly. The plates are supposed to be on the underside of the hood so all you see on top is the hoop.

Regardless- great job bringing the red back

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
FWIW the windshield tie down hoops on the hood are installed incorrectly. The plates are supposed to be on the underside of the hood so all you see on top is the hoop.

Regardless- great job bringing the red back
Funny, I never noticed that. Now that I look at it the underside has thin backing plates installed. The plates on the outside are quite thick and look like they're there to reinforce the area. Maybe they're hiding something or just reinforcing the areas.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Reinforcement would be under the hood. if you had the windshield down, air is trapped between the hood and windshield pushing the windshield up. Could pull the nuts through the hood.