• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Not sure this is a CJ steering column

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Hey guys, I was going to put in the Wolf Eng. lower steering shaft bearing in today, along with a new Borgeson steering shaft and low and behold o_O my steering column has an extra sleeve inside between the outer sleeve and the steering shaft. Anyone ever seen one of these that has a sleeve in the middle?

Needless to say, the inner sleeve prevents me from using the Wolf Eng. bearing so I had to order a new lower steering bearing. It looks like what Crown offers so I am crossing my fingers.

Any help identifying this would be appreciated.

Steering1 (1).jpgSteering2.jpgSteering3.jpg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I did my lower bearing 3 weeks ago. I can't remember if there was a sleeve like that or not. I used a crown bearing, about all that is out there other than the Wolf that I could find. It went in fine. Taking the old one out was tough, the inner sleeve anyway. Crown unit went in fine and is much better than what I took out, the slop and wandering is gone. I added more grease to the crown unit as it seemed a little lacking in grease.20210627_141709.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
If I was going to take a shot in the dark, I would guess that would be the shift tube for an auto trans. I can’t recall if a tube away from an auto can be grafted on a manual upper or not. But that’s sure what it looks like.

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
If I was going to take a shot in the dark, I would guess that would be the shift tube for an auto trans. I can’t recall if a tube away from an auto can be grafted on a manual upper or not. But that’s sure what it looks like.
Well it was originally a manual transmission Jeep but the PO put in a 350/TB350 combo back in the 90's. I have no idea if maybe he put in this column thinking he'd use a column shift, but it is a floor shifter for the auto trans. Weird! I cannot get the sleeve to move; it is very stationary in the tube.

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
I did my lower bearing 3 weeks ago. I can't remember if there was a sleeve like that or not. I used a crown bearing, about all that is out there other than the Wolf that I could find. It went in fine. Taking the old one out was tough, the inner sleeve anyway. Crown unit went in fine and is much better than what I took out, the slop and wandering is gone. I added more grease to the crown unit as it seemed a little lacking in grease.View attachment 95561
That isn't much of a bearing! I got mine out pretty easily and noticed it is missing two or four roller bearings. I ordered a Crown kit so I'll just wait patiently for it to arrive.