• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

NP241c vs D300

rstickley

SOA Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
I have noticed that some of you that have done LS swaps with 4l60e trans have used NP241c transfer cases while others stayed with the D300. Is one better than the other or is less conversion with stock width, passenger drop axle? I don't have a case and trying to decide what would be the best route.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
The Dana 300 is not as wide from input shaft to front output shaft and "can" cause issues with transmission clearance. Also, the NP241C has factory options without adaptors, shafts, etc..

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I used the 241C for the added trans oil pan/driveshaft clearance. The 241C really needs a slip yoke eliminator (in my opinion). I used JB conversions on mine. I also used a $50 ebay clocking ring to clock it up. A passenger drop 241C isn't easy to find, but also not that difficult. The Dana 300 needs an adaptor to work with the GM trans.

There are different schools of thought on strength. The 300 has a cast iron case and is gear driven. The 241C has an aluminum case with planetary reduction/chain driven front. That said, both have successfully been used behind big power with big tires. The 241 has a slightly deeper low range. You can twin stick the 300 for independent FWD and RWD combinations, the 241 cannot.

All that said, I am happy with my 241 and would prefer it over the 300 just because of how much better it shifts.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
241C is easier to shift due to chain drive.

Dodge also has a 241D that is passenger drop, used in the ramchargers. They would bolt up to a Chrysler / AMC transmission better due to the clocking matching the D300 pattern.

Biggest reason why used with LS swap is added width to clear the auto trans oil pan as mentioned above.

If you want more clearance and gear drive, atlas is the way to go.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I went with a 241C pass drop and an Advanced Adapters clocking ring. I used a 4l80e, I think it’s a hair wider than the 4l60e. Either way, the 300 would not have cleared without clocking it down very low. I love how easily the chain drive cases shift. Also, I was able to use the stock skid with modifications. Check out my build thread, it has all the particulars.

rstickley

SOA Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
I went with a 241C pass drop and an Advanced Adapters clocking ring. I used a 4l80e, I think it’s a hair wider than the 4l60e. Either way, the 300 would not have cleared without clocking it down very low. I love how easily the chain drive cases shift. Also, I was able to use the stock skid with modifications. Check out my build thread, it has all the particulars.
I have been following your build closely and referring back to it a lot to help me make decisions on which way to go. I plan on using your fuel tank idea when I get to that part. You are the master!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I have been following your build closely and referring back to it a lot to help me make decisions on which way to go. I plan on using your fuel tank idea when I get to that part. You are the master!
Thank you!