O/T- Disaster in Haiti- those wishing to make donations-

City
Provo
State
UT
I do not know anything about this particular organization, but this is what the FBI has put out.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE JANUARY 13, 2010
Haitian Earthquake Relief Fraud Alert
Washington, D.C. - The FBI today reminds Internet users who receive appeals
to donate money in the aftermath of Tuesday's earthquake in Haiti to apply a
critical eye and do their due diligence before responding to those requests.
Past tragedies and natural disasters have prompted individuals with criminal
intent to solicit contributions purportedly for a charitable organization
and/or a good cause.
Therefore, before making a donation of any kind, consumers should adhere to
certain guidelines, to include the following:
. Do not respond to any unsolicited (SPAM) incoming emails, including
clicking links contained within those messages.
. Be skeptical of individuals representing themselves as surviving victims
or officials asking for donations via e-mail or social networking sites.
. Verify the legitimacy of nonprofit organizations by utilizing various
Internet-based resources that may assist in confirming the group's existence
and its nonprofit status rather than following a purported link to the site.

. Be cautious of e-mails that claim to show pictures of the disaster areas
in attached files because the files may contain viruses. Only open
attachments from know senders.
. Make contributions directly to known organizations rather than relying on
others to make the donation on your behalf to ensure contributions are
received and used for intended purposes.
. Do not give your personal or financial information to anyone who solicits
contributions: Providing such information may compromise your identity and
make you vulnerable to identity theft.
Anyone who has received an e-mail referencing the above information or
anyone who may have been a victim of this or a similar incident should
notify the IC3 via www.ic3.gov.

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
No fraudulent organization here- Just trying to help my wife get the word out.

Anyone who knows me also knows my integrity. True, the FBI and other sources have issued warnings, like the one you attached, as there are many unscrupulous people trying to make a buck off of others misfortune. I assure you, neither MercyC
orps or my wife's "Finding Hope Project" fall into that category.

FP, your opening sentence probably should have read:

"I do not know anything about this organization. However, the FBI has issued this general advice regarding researching any organization before donating or giving personal information."

Here's a little info on MercyCorps-

Exemplary Stewardship

Mercy Corps has long been recognized as an excellent steward of the resources entrusted to it. Over the past five years, more than 89 percent of our resources have been allocated to programs that help people in need. Ensuring that resources are wisely spent is the cornerstone of our values, vision, and strategy for growth in the future. We are proud of the awards, endorsements, memberships, and honors that substantiate our track record of accountability.

Better Business Bureau
Mercy Corps meets all 20 of the Better Business Bureau’s standards for charity accountability.

American Institute of Philanthropy
The American Institute of Philanthropy, a leading charity watchdog agency, awarded Mercy Corps an “A-” for financial efficiency in its December 2009 rating guide.

Charity Navigator
Mercy Corps received the highest rating in organizational efficiency from Charity Navigator, the premier American charity evaluator, based on how we allocate money among programs, administration and fundraising, and how efficiently we use our fundraising resources. Our overall rating is three stars, which "exceeds or meets industry standards and performs as well as or better than most charities in its Cause."

Fast Company
Mercy Corps was selected as a winner of the 2008 Fast Company/Monitor Group Social Capitalist Award. Fast Company identified Mercy Corps as a “top-performing nonprofit” that “insist on serving up smart, bold solutions to seemingly intractable problems.” Mercy Corps also was named a recipient of the magazine’s 2009 “Social Enterprises of the Year” award for starting a bold banking initiative that could pull millions of people out of poverty in Indonesia.

InterAction
Mercy Corps is a member of InterAction, the largest coalition of America’s most reputable international NGOs. We adhere to InterAction’s financial and ethical standards in our fundraising and program operations.

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Mercy Corps is one of just a handful of partner organizations featured in the Global Development section of the 2008 Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Annual Report. The report notes that "in emergencies, there is often a gap between immediate relief and longer-term recovery" and says that "...Mercy Corps exemplifies how our response is helping to bridge that gap." Although the Foundation made $18.9 million in grants for the Global Food Crisis, they chose to highlight Mercy Corps' projects.

Last edited: