O.T. - "New" M-416 military trailer

City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Let me just say that revho has dibs if I change my mind and decide to sell this in 6 months. :D

Here's my "new" (to me) 1/4-ton M-416 military trailer. I just licensed it today, and will be using it to haul camping gear, kids' bicycles, veggie oil, etc. behind my '05 Unlimited or my new (to me) '82 diesel Suburban. I'll make it look pretty over the winter or next spring, but will use it as-is for now. I'll start by repacking the bearings in the next week, and getting it ready for road/highway use. :cool:

The nice thing is that all of the military bits (data plate, lunette, blackout lights, etc.) are still in-tact.

Craig

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Perhaps you should just save time....

...and list this in the "For Sale" section now.:evil: If you did, I'd be interested.:D

donaghy

CJ-8.COM owner
SOA Member
City
Lexington
State
SC
nice

nice find.... I love these things..

I bought one of the canadian ones that was a new old stock one was almost in perfect shape. I pulled it several places with that stretch TJ I had several years ago and it pulled great. Wish I still had that thing. Sold it to hank and don't know if he still has it or not..

Matt

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
1x1_Speed_Craig said:
Let me just say that revho has dibs if I change my mind and decide to sell this in 6 weeks. :D
1x1_Speed_Craig said:
Let me just say that revho has dibs if I change my mind and decide to sell this in 6 days. :D
1x1_Speed_Craig said:
Let me just say that revho has dibs if I change my mind and decide to sell this in 6 hours. :D

Fixed it for you... kept thinking "nah, it won't take that long" and finally settled on days ;)

I'm in MI, I get to be in line behind Kevin!!!

I think I could hear the "Yeah right" all the way over here... :rotfl:

City
White Rock
State
NM
the rich just keep getting richer.......

looks like a nice find Craig, I can only imagine the 'pretty' version next spring.

City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
trust said:
the rich just keep getting richer.......

looks like a nice find Craig, I can only imagine the 'pretty' version next spring.
Actually, I'm getting poorer. :rotfl: I did sell the Scrambler project, though, so that definitely helped (or not, depending on who you talk to).

pcozad1 said:
Dont you think that would look nice painted to match my cj8
No offense, pcozad1, but NO. ;) :D

okjeep

Basic User
City
Tulsa
State
OK
After sandblasting and painting....new bolts and tires. Flipped the axle to fit the 35's. Made a frame from 1-1/2" angle and topped it with a 18ga sheet metal cover. Now it's weather tight and secure.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
In line too!

Yep, put me in line behind Bigwalton.........that's just what I need to look for.

Dave K.

Legacy Registered User
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Nice trailer and very original.

I run a 1946 Bantam Civvy trailer and they are probably the best towing trailers of this size that I've used--don't even know they are there.

There were a number of 1/4 ton trailers made and they vary in value depending on condition and originality (also the type of person buying and selling!).

WWII Trailers--now hitting around $1500 to $2000 in really nice original condition. Ok ones with floors shot are between 500-700 while nice ones needing work but decent floors top $1000 quite often. These have no tailgates. This is the most sought after trailer.

Post War Civvy Bantams--tailgate equipped and by far the most usable for the average Joe. These are coming up in value but are more common to find. Floors are usually shot like all of them but if it has a decent floor AND the original tail light they will hit $1500.

M100--50's era military. No gate, floor usually gone because the landing leg is broken or isn't used so water collects up front (same with the others). Very desirable because the look alot like the WW2 and more available because a lot were surplused here in the US. $800 to 1200

M416--Coming up in value and really nice ones hit $800 to 1000 dollars--sometimes higher. There are variants which are rarer so be careful before modding one as you might have a unique one. These were throwaways for many collectors for years but their tune has changed in the last few years it seems.

Anyway, trailers 101 for ya. I picked mine up in Jackson, MI a few years back off of eBay. $500 and all original with solid floor. They can be had! Once again the most common problem with these is the floors but you can buy replacements from Jeep Panels Plus for example.

Here are a few I found while surfing:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/764501657.html

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824617

I'm guessing Craig paid. . . . . $450 for it;)

Surf craigslist and you'll find one . . . .

Last edited:
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Dave K. said:
Nice trailer and very original.

I run a 1946 Bantam Civvy trailer and they are probably the best towing trailers of this size that I've used--don't even know they are there.

There were a number of 1/4 ton trailers made and they vary in value depending on condition and originality (also the type of person buying and selling!).

WWII Trailers--now hitting around $1500 to $2000 in really nice original condition. Ok ones with floors shot are between 500-700 while nice ones needing work but decent floors top $1000 quite often. These have no tailgates. This is the most sought after trailer.

Post War Civvy Bantams--tailgate equipped and by far the most usable for the average Joe. These are coming up in value but are more common to find. Floors are usually shot like all of them but if it has a decent floor AND the original tail light they will hit $1500.

M100--50's era military. No gate, floor usually gone because the landing leg is broken or isn't used so water collects up front (same with the others). Very desirable because the look alot like the WW2 and more available because a lot were surplused here in the US. $800 to 1200

M416--Coming up in value and really nice ones hit $800 to 1000 dollars--sometimes higher. There are variants which are rarer so be careful before modding one as you might have a unique one. These were throwaways for many collectors for years but their tune has changed in the last few years it seems.

Anyway, trailers 101 for ya. I picked mine up in Jackson, MI a few years back off of eBay. $500 and all original with solid floor. They can be had! Once again the most common problem with these is the floors but you can buy replacements from Jeep Panels Plus for example.

Here are a few I found while surfing:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/764501657.html

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824617

I'm guessing Craig paid. . . . . $450 for it;)

Surf craigslist and you'll find one . . . .
Nice "Trailers 101" overview, Dave. :) I gave $550 for mine, with a 4-hr. round trip to get it. It wasn't the best deal in the world, but I thought it was fair, especially since everything military is still there. Locality is also a big consideration when looking at these. The floor in mine is still solid, and just needs the surface rust neutralized. The drain plugs in the floor are even still functional.

They are hard to find in original condition, and in decent shape. Mine is a 1966 model, BTW.

It pulls great behind the Unlimited, but backing it up will take some practice. I'm used to backing up a 16-ft. trailer, and this one "darts" off a lot more quickly, as you might guess.

I'll add everyone to the long list of people who will be watching my every move, and waiting for me to sell it. :D

Craig

P.S. - okjeep, your trailer looks great!!!

Last edited:
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
BTW, this is the same type of trailer I used as the basis of my CJ-10a bed. I just shortened it ~2 feet. The base trailer for that was quite a bit rougher, though, so I didn't feel bad cutting it up.

Craig

Dave K.

Legacy Registered User
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Sounds like you got a great deal--all you have to do is blast, prime and paint. It does take some getting used to when backing up as you indicate--they snap around fast.

When you look at the value for the buck and what is available out there even $1500 is cheap in my opinion. Where can you get a really well made trailer (with floating capability!) for less than $2K? Nowhere really . . . .

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Dave K. said:
Where can you get a really well made trailer (with floating capability!) for less than $2K? Nowhere really . . . .
from Craig in 6 months...

:D