OEM rear bumper restoration

jatepper

Basic User
LIFETIME
City
Vail
State
AZ
Spent a few hours finishing up the restoration of these CJ8 rear bumpers.

They all started out as chrome. I had them all stripped and whatever pitting that was on there (extremely minimal) was worked out of the metal. Had two of them re-chromed and the other two powder coated. They all look brand new. Extremely happy with how they turned out.

Found a roll of 2" grip tape on fleabay that is an extremely close match to OEM. I'd say the texture is ever so slightly off, but I'm good with it. In the photo with the 3 strips the top is OEM. Close enough!

Used some left over neutralizing adhesive gel from a Phoenix Graphics decal kit I installed some time back. The gel allows you to slide the grip tape in place then you squeegee it out once you're happy with the placement. Couple of hours it dries up and your decals are stuck right where you want them.

Also had Kim's cast aluminum repop end caps powder coated Cardinal textured black. I'd call them a 100% exact match. Powder coated repop is on the right, OEM on the left.

Link to the grip tape: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/292881728828

Attachments

Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Look outstanding!

Where did you get the reproduction Jeep SE decals?

Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I bought them from someone on the Project Survivor Facebook page. They're pricey at $10/ea
Grrrr ....... that Facebook thing again! My nemesis. One of these days I'll have to break down and join, just been resisting will all my soul.

jatepper

Basic User
LIFETIME
City
Vail
State
AZ
Grrrr ....... that Facebook thing again! My nemesis. One of these days I'll have to break down and join, just been resisting will all my soul.
You're better off not joining! Stay away from the madness.

I just ordered 9. 5 are going to another CJ-8 member and I need 3 more, so I should have an extra. Shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to send it to you at cost.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
You're better off not joining! Stay away from the madness.
Don’t do it! Stay away from the FaceBook. I finally worked out my schedule with my therapist. 4 hours a day on CJ-8, 3.5 on eBay and 30 minutes actually working but thinking about CJ’s. Now I’m more active on FB and I walk around all day looking at my phone like the rest of the phone zombies.

At night I like to watch that Life Below Zero show and I must say no watch and not knowing what day of the week it is sounds pretty good. It’s the -40+degrees that I’m not so sure about.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I’m also a Facebook hold out. Never had one, never will. Sometimes I think I’m missing out on opportunities…… Im sure I am, but I’m still not joining the Facebook Community. My wife’s a very low-key member, once in a while I’ll have her look for a Jeep Parts if I’m in need. Just a couple of times over the last year. Stay strong