• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Official CJ-8.com Forum Lurker Intro Thread!

akajeepjim

Basic User
Ouch. How rusty is this poor 8 being from Wisconsin? Is it salvageable?
Salvageable? My idea of that means that it has a VIN plate, and maybe a title, or at the very least a legit bill of sale. Beyond that I think almost everything else can be redone if the budget matches the expectations! This one might not win any awards or command a big price on ebay, but its got a good story and a hopeful owner. I think I can get it at least roadworthy. That does mean something completely different to someone used to seeing rusty Wisconsin junk vs. someone in Texas or Arizona!

capnmark4

Basic User
City
WESTLAKE
State
TX
So in 2004, with some extra money to burn, I decided I wanted a convertible. A Commander or a Scrambler had been a desire for a long time. Then one day, I saw a Scrambler for sale...right color - Metallic Garnet, right trim - Laredo with side rails...Sold!!!

It came with hard half top, soft half top, soft full top, soft doors, and a bikini. I later bought a full hard top and hard doors. The idea being the Scrambler would be useable year round. I then did MC2100 and HEI upgrades to make it more reliable. Shortly afterward, she started having electrical issues...battery was only good for about 24 hours, anything longer and I had to jump it. I also wound up having to buy a new battery every year or so.

Well life got in the way (working on airplanes, new volunteer job, travel, you know...life). A couple of years ago, I decided to a) get it running again and b) figure out the electrical problem. After a couple of false starts, COVID, and some personal issues, I decided 2021 was the year! It took rebuilding the carb, replacing the ignition key, headlight switch, and turn signal switch but I got her running again, inspected, and registered.

IMG_1146.jpg
Here she is with 33" tires and the wheels cleaned up along with the safari doors (sorry for the finger in the pic). Not bad for being 37 years old ((1984)!

Next, get the LED headlights and front parking lights working (rears are already good) then play around with a third brake light.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
What a great looking rig.

For the electrical, my Painless harness solved every issue i had, including a battery issue like yours.

For the third brake light, here is my stab at it from an '07 TJ.

Attachments

• 20210719_215141.jpg
    20210719_215141.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210711_081741.jpg
    20210711_081741.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 12

Interceptor

My toy of joy
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Today I purchased a 1981 CJ 8. Seems all original except for the rust. I was expecting it to be a rust bucket when I went to car lot to take a look. Paper work finalized tomorrow, delivered soon after.

I had already made up my mind not to buy even before stepping on the car lot. Bad color, 4 cylinder, gonna be rusted up, motor will be junk, too much money etc...

For some reason me and that old Jeep connected right there, and when the little 4 cylinder ran like a sewing machine I was done. Its still an ugly color (to me), but rust is acceptable and can be repaired by me. Jeep is solid and straight. I wanted something I could tinker with in my retirement, this is perfect. Shows a little over 80k miles, but who knows.
Suggestions on a Jeep bible or shop manual since all work will be done by me?

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Good resources here. I also every now and then find some good stuff from Moses Ludel. Typically on line info when I am searching the vastness of the internet.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Seems have typical rust spots. Thinking color maybe ok if resprayed over no rust. Growing on me.

Attachments

• 20210721_085303.jpg
    20210721_085303.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 13

capnmark4

Basic User
City
WESTLAKE
State
TX
What a great looking rig.

For the electrical, my Painless harness solved every issue i had, including a battery issue like yours.

For the third brake light, here is my stab at it from an '07 TJ.
Thanks! How did you wire yours up? I found a circuit that seems to work (on the bench anyway) and a "inside the wheel" light that looks pretty nice online. I'll post pick once I have it set up. Project for this weekend :D:woot:

FWIW, the front bumper was original (still have it) but bent. The rear had been replace with a 3-4" black tube which I hated. Found a set of custom bumper/tire carrier on eBay a few years ago (out of North Carolina). I'll post pics of those as well.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I ran a separate wire straight off the brake light activation switch on the pedal to avoid the indicators and then put an inline strobe relay to make the 3rd light flash